Preparation for storage - Gaslow

Antibadger replied on 01/10/2018 19:24

Posted on 01/10/2018 19:24

In preparing for storage, the advice is usually to disconnect and remove gas cylinders. What is the advice for Gaslow cylinders which are still partly full?

Also, does anyone have experience of storing cylinders and batteries with their motorhome in Europe for several months? Do some storage sites offer services to take care of bottles and keep batteries charged?

KeithandMargaret replied on 02/10/2018 09:37

Posted on 02/10/2018 09:37

As far as I'm aware there's no need to do anything with the Gaslow cylinders if left for a long time - we've had a system for some years and have never had any worries with them.

The best way to ensure your Starter and Leisure batteries remain charged, if not regularly used, is to fit a roof Solar panel and a B2B unit.

I have an 80W Solar panel with a cheap (£20) B2B between the batteries and we've never been on hook up, at home or away, in years.

There is, obviously, an initial outlay for the panel and fitting but with a Solar panel, Gaslow system and B2B the World is quite literally your lobster.

I can't help with storage facilities in Europe - but two out of three ain't bad.

H B Watson replied on 02/10/2018 11:37

Posted on 02/10/2018 11:37

I agree with K&M, all I ever do is turn the gas off, and a small solar charger will probably keep the battery fine.

peedee replied on 02/10/2018 11:47

Posted on 02/10/2018 11:47

Turning the gas off on the cylinders is all I also do and like K&M my solar panel keeps both leisure and engine batteries charged up when the motorhome is not in use.

peedee

Antibadger replied on 08/10/2018 13:31

Posted on 08/10/2018 13:31

Aha. That all makes sense. My MH already had two solar panels fitted when I bought it, so I'll just monitor them to see if they're working fine. We're on hook up normally.

Thanks for the advice.

KeithandMargaret replied on 08/10/2018 20:22

Posted on 08/10/2018 20:22

With the Solar panels working okay and a Gaslow system already in your Motorhome get prepared to wander far and wide without always having to ask if the site has hook up and save yourself a fortune of EHU costs.

Find those cheap, nay free, Aires in Europe and get off the beaten track whatever the time of year.

We haven't been on hook up in France for around five years, usually on holiday for a month at a time, and it must have saved us enough for a few tanks full of diesel during that time.

Everyone holidays as they prefer but if you've got the chance to explore without having to search for hook up it makes life considerably easier.

Antibadger replied on 08/10/2018 21:21

Posted on 08/10/2018 21:21

Hi Keith&Margaret

Can you recommend a brand of B2B that I can take a look at online? Is installation best left to a pro? 

Also, do you find it worthwhile to have a monitor on your solar power feed?

Cheers

KeithandMargaret replied on 08/10/2018 21:50

Posted on 08/10/2018 21:50

I have the B2B device ( the picture on my first post) and that gives a trickle charge to the Starter battery when the Leisure batteries are fully charged.

It might be better to get an auto electrician to do the wiring - no more that a few minutes job for them and gives you peace of mind.

The only monitoring I do of the electrics is a couple of digital display volt meters (about a pound or two each off t'internet) to monitor the starter and leisure batteries.

Display boxes are secured by Velcro wherever is easiest and visible - but they do shine brightly during the night ........

peedee replied on 09/10/2018 07:07

Posted on 09/10/2018 07:07

It is not a difficult job to fit your own B2B even if you only  have just a smattering of electrical knowledge. If you have any doubt about your competance, do as K&M advises. I got mine from >VanBitz< who supply full fitting instructions or they will do it for you.

>Nassa Marine< make a rang of battery monitors and I fitted the BM1 to keep an eye on my leisure battery and solar panel. I haven't found any need to monitor the engine battery although Nasa can supply a model which will do both. >Amazon< also sell them.

peedee

peedee replied on 09/10/2018 08:58

Posted on 09/10/2018 08:58

Just an after thought AB, have you checked you solar panels are not in fact charging both batteries? Some solar panel regulators have two outputs to do both batteries in which case you will not need a B2B.

peedee

Antibadger replied on 09/10/2018 11:15

Posted on 09/10/2018 11:15

Thanks again

I've got the status of both batteries on my central panel and all looks good.

What I really want to do is check whether the solar panels are doing their job prior to storage, as per your earlier suggestions. However, being on tour full time I can't just unhook and monitor the batteries, as the fridge etc continues to drain the leisure battery and I can't see the impact of the solar cells. Hence thinking of a monitor on the solar cell feed. What do you think?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook