Potable air conditioning units

johnny mac replied on 17/06/2017 13:04

Posted on 17/06/2017 13:04

Does any one use a potable air con unit going to France and just trying motorhome abroad for the first time in August cool thanks in advance

eurortraveller replied on 18/06/2017 06:59

Posted on 18/06/2017 06:59

Johnny, Sorry no, haven't got one, I would find them cumbersome to store and cart around for the few times they are needed, but we find an electric fan a vital lightweight piece of kit. On hot nights we sleep with windows wide open at night and mosquito nets down. But once or twice there have been times when we have said Let's just move on and go up into the mountains. 

IanTG replied on 18/06/2017 08:19

Posted on 18/06/2017 08:19

I bought a "cool my camper " unit off eBay on spur of moment. It's two units, one which sits inside and one outside the van, with an umbilical cord which is small enough to pass via a closed window. not yet had need to use it 'in anger' but have tested it, and it certainly seems ok. As luck would have it, the main UK importer is located only just up the road from me, so I visited their showroom for a full demo of a new one,  before I bought mine.

i don't disagree with eurotraveller's comment about portability, as you can't separate the two units, but when towing they do sit nicely side by side behind the front seats in my tow car. We just got back from taking them down to Med in France, without taking them out of car. The weather was hot. But cooled nicely in the evening, so we didn't feel we needed them. 

More info if you just google "cool my camper"

Dave Nicholson replied on 18/06/2017 19:44

Posted on 18/06/2017 19:44

We have a Sekom free standing airconditioning unit that can be vented through a window opening although ours is vented through the floor. We find it essential in Italy in July/August and September. The beauty of the Sekom unit is that the input current is only 4.1 amps at 230 Volts and is ideal for use on sites where the hook-up current rating is limited. It cools our 7.4M motorhome very effectively.

johnny mac replied on 20/06/2017 09:00

Posted on 18/06/2017 19:44 by Dave Nicholson

We have a Sekom free standing airconditioning unit that can be vented through a window opening although ours is vented through the floor. We find it essential in Italy in July/August and September. The beauty of the Sekom unit is that the input current is only 4.1 amps at 230 Volts and is ideal for use on sites where the hook-up current rating is limited. It cools our 7.4M motorhome very effectively.

Posted on 20/06/2017 09:00

What size of hole did you need for the hose to go throw thanks john

Dave Nicholson replied on 20/06/2017 19:59

Posted on 20/06/2017 19:59

The hole through the floor is the same size as the window vent moulding that was supplied by Sekom (an oblong approx. 300 x 120). I made an adaptor that allows the AC unit to sit almost flush with the Motorhome side wall, the flexible vent pipe supplied with the unit had a bending radius that was too large. I also made a blanking plate that seals the vent hole from the outside when we don't use the unit eg in the UK. I can send you pictures if you let me know your email address.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook