Peugeot 2.2 Engine

cyberyacht replied on 19/09/2017 07:50

Posted on 19/09/2017 07:50

Having just taken delivery of the MH, which only has 4500 miles on the clock, I am a bit disappointed by the apparent lack of smoothness in the engine. My previous tow car, a 2.0i TDI Kuga always seems quite smooth and I was barely aware that it was a diesel. The MH, when starting up has all the sophistication of a London Taxi and when accelerating does sound quite gruff. Bit of a bag of nails. I was rather expecting something a bit more sophisticated as this is a Euro 6 engine compared with the Kuga's Euro 4 one.

Are there any Peugeot engined M/homers with the Euro 6 engine out available to comment?

Oneputt replied on 19/09/2017 08:27

Posted on 19/09/2017 08:27

Hi CY why not see if you can the engine re-chipped, you may be surprised at the difference.  I informed my insurance company that I had my CR V done and it cost me less than £25 additional premium.  The chip for the Honda was quite expensive but the advantage are clear to see, nearly 30 BHP more and 50 miles + to a tank fuel.

replied on 19/09/2017 08:39

Posted on 19/09/2017 08:39

Are there any Peugeot engined M/homers with the Euro 6 engine out available to comment?

Hopefully a number CY

young thomas replied on 19/09/2017 09:09

Posted on 19/09/2017 09:09

in the past, most MH reviewers have also described the Peugeot 2.2 as a bag of nails, not comparing well with the Fiat 2.3, for noise or smoothness...

apparently, the latest Euro 6 2.0 versions (with increased power) are much better.

are you sure yours is Euro 6, CY?

I thought the 2.2 only went to Euro 5+ and to get to Euro 6 they downsized, but upped the electrickery?

i may be totally wrong, but thats my recollection.wink

EDIT: from the autosleepers site..

All You Need To Know About Peugeot Euro 6 Engines! ... Auto-Sleepers 2017 Peugeot range now features Peugeot’s next generation BlueHDi 2.0 litre engines. BlueHDi is the name given to Peugeot’s latest generation of fuel and environmentally efficient Diesel engines.

JVB66 replied on 19/09/2017 10:31

Posted on 19/09/2017 10:31

Cyber  i understand the Pug 2.2 engine is actually a Ford engine that is used in numerous makes ,we had it in our Autocruise motor caravan and it got much better as it losened up yours is hardly :"run in" for an engine that is designed for a hard life high milage with "white van man" at the wheel,if you want a quieter cab you could always get as we did , a sound deadening kit, it was quite noticable

H B Watson replied on 19/09/2017 12:23

Posted on 19/09/2017 12:23

I'd tend not to compare car diesels with MH's. For example the Ducato based ones are effectively Iveco commercial engines, not large Fiat car engines, so they've come from a different direction requirement-wise. Probably a better one IMO. As said the Pug 2.2 is I believe a Ford Transit / Land Rover Defender engine so has not been designed with car characteristics, but is probably much better at moving a 3 or 4te vehicle around.

Metheven replied on 19/09/2017 12:33

Posted on 19/09/2017 12:33

I don't think Euro emissions number has a bearing on noise, more likely because you are nearly sitting on the engine and good sound proofing would go a long way to hide it.

It's probably a relative to my Freelander 2.2 diesel, that is noisy from outside but in the cabin its quite muted.

lornalou1 replied on 19/09/2017 12:54

Posted on 19/09/2017 12:54

try putting a bottle of diesel enhancer to a tank full and see the difference or try ultima/premium fuels at the pumps. I have had 3 pugs over many years and all were the noisiest from outside.

young thomas replied on 19/09/2017 13:15

Posted on 19/09/2017 12:33 by Metheven

I don't think Euro emissions number has a bearing on noise, more likely because you are nearly sitting on the engine and good sound proofing would go a long way to hide it.

It's probably a relative to my Freelander 2.2 diesel, that is noisy from outside but in the cabin its quite muted.

Posted on 19/09/2017 13:15

Dave, i wasnt suggesting it was...merely that CY assumed his engine was the latest Euro 6 version....i'm pretty sure it isnt.

Peugeot had to come down in size (to 2.0) to acheive the euro 6 std, whereas Fiat retained their (far quieter) 2.3.

the 2.2 is a completely different beast that managed 5+ at a struggle but is a noisy old thing.....

sound deadening might help....our van is extremely quiet when cruising at 110kph, but i suspect (due to the difference in construction) there is far more effort made at cab comfort than on a std 'white man van' cab.

BlueVanMan replied on 19/09/2017 13:30

Posted on 19/09/2017 13:30

CY I am not sure if the engine you have is a (Ford derived) 2.2 litre engine or a PAS 2 litre engine. The "Ford" (Puma) engine is actually Euro 5 whereas the PAS 2 litre is Euro 6. Peugeot Societe Anonyme alias Peugeot/Citroen one have one engine displacement  in their van range tweaked to produce 110 130 or 150bhp.  One easy way to check is Does your van use Adblue ? Tthe filler is a small blue cap adjacent to the fuel filler). If it has a blue cap it is a 2 litre PAS engine, the same engine as my new 2017 van. If it doesn't and it is a Peugeot it will be the Euro 5 engine. Coincidentally I did a comment on another forum regarding the two engines as follows :-

"

I took delivery of a Euro 6 PSA Engined Citroen Relay in March and have now covered 3500 miles in it. A very short distance in commercial vehicle terms (our big European trip this year was postponed) but enough to form some impression of the differences between the old "Ford" engine and the new PSA engine.

The clutch is definitely lighter and the mileage is slightly better perhaps 2-3 mpg better but this figure will no doubt improve further as the engine loosens up. On paper the engine has more torque than its Ford predecessor but for now it feels like it has less "grunt" and it seems to need more down changes. The gearbox doesn't like the change for fifth to sixth to be snatched. You need to be smooth or it doesn't engage. Again these may well change when the engine/gearbox loosens up. I don't see much difference in engine noise levels but the engine is certainly smooth at higher revs. I haven't really worked the van much at the top end (in Germany the old van would cruise all day long at well over 80). The Adblue use and filling over these initial miles has been unproblematic and in line with expectations (although it is not easy to work out exactly how much adblue is used).
The physical dimensions of the engine are smaller and I think it is lighter (offset by the Adblue tank and its ancillaries). Overall I am optimistic that this will be a good engine but for now it doesn't FEEL as robust as the Puma. "

As remarked above I can't say I have noticed a big difference in engine noise levels. Its a commercial vehicle and you can't expect/won't get car like levels of sophistication because the vehicle is designed as a workhorse not a motorway sprinter. Hope the above comments are of interest.

N1805 replied on 19/09/2017 17:04

Posted on 19/09/2017 17:04

I would check handbook before adding any Redex type enhancer to a tank of diesel.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook