Particulate Filter Retrofit for an older Motorhome

Pilote9021 replied on 31/07/2018 15:06

Posted on 31/07/2018 15:06

SUBJECT:- green environmental zones in Germany, which are becoming prolific.

I would appreciate any information where I can have a particulate filter retro-fitted to my 2004 2.8 diesel Peugeot Boxer base vehicle.
This is done facilitating a Green Zone 4 rated disc to be issued for environmental compliance.

Any information on this retrofit would be appreciated. Many many club members have older motorhomes and without this retrofit cannot legally enter many city's and towns in Germany.

Thanking you in advance

lornalou1 replied on 31/07/2018 17:24

Posted on 31/07/2018 17:24

I bet it's not cheap, if at all possible. my question would be is it worth it. I think it was from 2004 that all vehicles ( diesel ) had to have one fitted so are you sure your's hasn't. Why not go for a newer model, only a couple of years but would work out cheaper.

Phishing replied on 01/08/2018 23:34

Posted on 01/08/2018 23:34

Fitting a DPF is not an issue there are many generic ones available. The issue is burning the DPF into regen. You must have a facility to decide when regeneration is required and facilitate this. On a diesel this is tricky if the engine ECU was not designed to do this. There are retrofit DPFs available but you need the DPF and an associated control system for it. 

Website www.gencat.co.uk/Retrofit%20London%20NRMM%20LEZ%20DPF.asp  explains the principle of doing it but don't think it will be cheap.

Grumblewagon replied on 03/08/2018 17:16

Posted on 03/08/2018 17:16

I think it was from about 2009 that all diesels had to have a DPF.  I assumed that my 59 reg van had one, but it appears to be about the last one without.  Let's say, I can't find any sign of one on the exhaust.

This suits me just fine.  It's a Euro 4 spec, but I don't drive into cities and don't bother with a 'sticker'.

I agree that the best bet would probably be to look for a newer van with a Euro 4 or 5 spec.  The problem with the DPF (as said) would be with automatic regeneration although I see that the Gencat DPF uses a replacable filter instead which can last up to 250 hours.  Unfortunately, I can't see any prices. 

Ricochet replied on 12/01/2019 15:57

Posted on 12/01/2019 15:57

We spend about 6 months every year touring Europe and have done so for many years. The answer to your query is that it is simple and cheap to comply with the regulations. You only need to bother about 2 countries. Germany and France. It costs about 5 euros each to register your vehicle. If you google emision zones and France or Germany you will get loads of people wanting to charge you rediculus ammounts to do it for you. Google emmision zones Berlin (for germany) of Paris (for France). Both these cities have easy to understand english websites to  help you to register. Basically you scan in a copy of your vehicles log book, pay about 5 euros by credit card and wait for your sticker to arrive. Your vehicle details are enteres in that counties database and you are OK to enter cities according to signage etc. My MH is based on a 2008 2.3l ducato base and ithas been given a Green sticker for Germany and a Yellow one for France. If you carry a motorbike as we do you need to register it in France but not in Germany. Any one heading to the South of France should be aware that if you use the Autoroute through the centre of Lyon parts of it require an emmisions sticker, known as a CritAir in France. Getting old so can't remember what its called in Germany.

John 

Pilote9021 replied on 29/06/2020 12:33

Posted on 29/06/2020 12:33

I thought I would tie this post off. Therefore thank you for all of the replies and good information.

I applied for a green De euro 4 sticker, but I can only get a yellow sticker from the German authorities and as they indicate it is not worth applying for.

so - we are continuing to travel all over Europe [incl. Scandinavia, Balkans, down to Greece/ Sicily etc. etc.] and we have found no real issues.

it is therefore a case of don't panic and carry on regardless.

Again thank  you for the input to my question.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook