Pariahs

cyberyacht replied on 27/02/2019 07:20

Posted on 27/02/2019 07:20

If motorhomers are to avoid being branded pariahs and viewed with the same distaste as some of the travelling fraternity, we need to consider the impact that 'wild camping' has and the impression that it creates with local inhabitants. It is currently a hot topic on a forum for the local community where I used to have my apartment.

The ability to park up for one or two nights in an unspoilt and peaceful location is something I would imagine that most motorhomers would cherish. Spending weeks and months at a time is, IMHO, pushing the envelope beyond what is reasonable/acceptable.

The thread in question is HERE

Justus2 replied on 27/02/2019 07:40

Posted on 27/02/2019 07:40

I agree. It depends on local legislation, signage, location and length of stay and of course no waste left behind. Personally we would never do it for fear of the impact it may have on local authorities decision making. I have seen wonderful parking areas both in Scotland and in Ireland where there are height barriers to keep out all but cars and am aware that Scotland has imposed restrictions around Loch Lomond to prevent M/H parking. However, in Scarborough, we have a big-ish car park on the north side. It's free in winter, and many a Sunday morning I have counted 20 plus M/Hs which have clearly been there overnight and I have never been aware of any problems. It does however, amaze me that the local council don't open the meters up in the winter, and instigate an overnight charge of perhaps £5 as most would be happy at that I would think.

Whittakerr replied on 27/02/2019 07:44

Posted on 27/02/2019 07:44

Parking up for one or two nights in an unspoilt and peaceful location inevitably means it is no longer unspoilt or peaceful in my opinion.

replied on 27/02/2019 07:54

Posted on 27/02/2019 07:54

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Rufs replied on 27/02/2019 10:45

Posted on 27/02/2019 07:20 by cyberyacht

If motorhomers are to avoid being branded pariahs and viewed with the same distaste as some of the travelling fraternity, we need to consider the impact that 'wild camping' has and the impression that it creates with local inhabitants. It is currently a hot topic on a forum for the local community where I used to have my apartment.

The ability to park up for one or two nights in an unspoilt and peaceful location is something I would imagine that most motorhomers would cherish. Spending weeks and months at a time is, IMHO, pushing the envelope beyond what is reasonable/acceptable.

The thread in question is HERE

Posted on 27/02/2019 10:45

yup my daughter lives and teaches in this region, some areas being used for wild camping stink now of the unmentionables, there was a big article in the Murcia times just before xmas re the unwanted in the Mazarron area, when we stayed in Bolnuevo last year they even had the cheek to sneek into the site via the beach entrance and use the site facilities FOC of course.

Not restricted to over there though, we have one on Lee-Sea-Front, diesel generator running and clearly water under van, knocked on his door only this morning, but of course you only get abuse, local council are cracking down but difficult to police 24x7x365. But not going to say anymore on this subject as we had a massive post and opinion making prior to xmas on this subject, and i am sure the wild campers on this forum would not dream of doing the unthinkable. 

young thomas replied on 27/02/2019 17:59

Posted on 27/02/2019 17:59

wild campers, like bad dog owners or parents who don't control children well are (hopefully) well in the minority...

we are leaving the 'sanctuary' of a top class camp site nr Lagos tomorrow and will be 'stopping off' at many places of interest as we wend our way along the costa del sol and up the east coast of Spain..

some recognised aires, some well documented parking areas and the odd supermarket car park in amongst the odd site or two....

no more than two nights (usually one) and leave no trace of being there, disposing of (black) waste in the proper place, usually on an aire...

are we pariahs?

also, what many (caravanners) don't know about the relationship between sites and MHers, on the continent, is that MHers are permitted to use the site facilities for a small fee....there is a specific category od site listed in the aires 'bibles' called something like....'sites allowing passage of camping cars....'

so, for a couple of euros or se outsiders can empty water, collect water, and are more than likely welcome to use the restaurant, bar and even other facilities.....so all is not always as it seems with regard to 'freeloaders' on continental campsites....

replied on 27/02/2019 18:07

Posted on 27/02/2019 18:07

Indeed not if they move on or off to dump but still apart for the odd night why not use aires etc? . 

young thomas replied on 27/02/2019 18:21

Posted on 27/02/2019 18:21

I don't know, Alan.....perhaps they're not in the 'right place'?...

France alone has around 8000 Aires but when someone finds that magical beach spot....?

in fairness, we don't do a lot of wild camping, usually when on a long trip and just find a carpark to sleep in and up and away the next morning...

...but I really don't get (or like, obviously) the stories about folk leaving crap everywhere....although, thinking about the posts from the wardens on the 'toilets' thread, sounds like anything goes and doesn't have to be wild campers.....

perhaps it's just the type of person, nothing to do with where they actually camp? sites fair game, too for the uncaring?

replied on 27/02/2019 18:33

Posted on 27/02/2019 18:33

perhaps it's just the type of person, nothing to do with where they actually camp? sites fair game, too for the uncaring?

Probably the type of person. 

Takethedogalong replied on 27/02/2019 21:21

Posted on 27/02/2019 21:21

We watched folks spend weeks at a time all along Long Rock seafront overlooking Mounts Bay near Marazion for years. Mix of UK and overseas MHs. Some outfits never moved for weeks at a time, chairs out, etc....... These folks had no regard for locals or other visitors, it was a well known park up via the MH Tom Tom drums network. Council finally put a stop to it and installed a big kerb, and it’s a cycle track now alongside road. There was certainly no lack of camp sites close by, dozens to suit all wallets, but of course not free.

We have done the odd overnight sleep in a lay-by, quiet spot, when travelling, with caravan, solo in back of Land Rover, but not yet in MH. (Not sure if Stratford Leisure Centre car park counts, it was official and not free!) But it was just to beat traffic and get a rest before moving on, not a holiday destination.

cyberyacht replied on 28/02/2019 08:48

Posted on 28/02/2019 08:48

The trouble with Stratford is the HGV's firing up at an uncivilised hour in the morning. Did it last year en-route to the NEC show.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook