Overweight motorhome

Bruffywalnut replied on 04/08/2020 14:24

Posted on 04/08/2020 14:24

Hi everyone 

We've taken delivery this week of our newly converted camper van (VW Crafter) which is plated at 3500kg. We've loaded up ready for our first trip and are weighing in at 3650kgs. We've been told by more experienced motorhome owners that this will be fine if we are stopped for a weight check as there is a 5% tolerance on the plated weight. 

Just wanted to check with the members on here whether that has been your experience too? 

I've tried to find a thread on this subject as I'm sure I've seen it before but couldn't find it today.

Thank you 

hitchglitch replied on 04/08/2020 14:36

Posted on 04/08/2020 14:36

Not sure who would have told you that. The plated weight is the maximum as far as I am aware, so you are 150 kg over assuming the weighbridge is accurate. Not an uncommon problem with some motorhomes where the quoted payload is very poor. Are you travelling with a full water tank? 100 litres weighs 100 kg.

SteveL replied on 04/08/2020 15:40

Posted on 04/08/2020 15:40

I thought the 5% tolerance related to the manufacturers figures and actuality. Therefore you couldn't complain to them if there was 5% less payload than stated in the brochure. 

When it comes to overall weight I thought the plated weight and axle loads were the maximum. If you were pulled over and checked there would be no tolerance given in respect to them.

hitchglitch replied on 04/08/2020 16:37

Posted on 04/08/2020 16:37

So the MTPLM is 3500 kg (which is the maximum loaded weight). It would be interesting to know the MIRO (Mass in Running Order) and the quoted payload (MTPLM - MIRO). Anything much less than 500kg payload and you could struggle. Are you carrying bikes or anything other than basic equipment?

lornalou1 replied on 04/08/2020 16:50

Posted on 04/08/2020 16:50

Could they mean 5% tolerance on the weighbridge. i would find another just for comparison. 

MichaelT replied on 04/08/2020 16:56

Posted on 04/08/2020 16:56

The manufacturers allow a +/- tolerance on given weights to offset any variance in the materials used where say in winter there may be more moisture in wooden furniture etc. but if you are stopped you will not be given the same so you need to lose weight.  Also what extra's did you have on the van, an awning can weigh 40-50kg, sat TV some more, auto box will add weight etc.

Also what are your axle loading are you over them too?

As HG says anything less than 500kg payload is impossible to get under the weight but IMHO you need nearer 1 tonne once you add in chairs, gas, clothes, food, crockery and cutlery etc.

SteveL replied on 04/08/2020 17:08

Posted on 04/08/2020 17:08

As HG says anything less than 500kg payload is impossible to get under the weight but IMHO you need nearer 1 tonne once you add in chairs, gas, clothes, food, crockery and cutlery etc.

We manage OK with 700kg but wouldn't have much in reserve if we wanted to carry a full tank of water. We normally travel with the recommended 25 litres.

It's amazing what gobbles it up over the quoted base weight, ours came with metallic paint (extra weight over the normal paint) alloy wheels (heavier than the included steel) spare (not included at all) UK type cooker (extra weight over what they would fit for sale over there) Even things like the door fly screen, which isn't standard equipment.

MichaelT replied on 04/08/2020 17:53

Posted on 04/08/2020 17:08 by SteveL

We manage OK with 700kg but wouldn't have much in reserve if we wanted to carry a full tank of water. We normally travel with the recommended 25 litres.

It's amazing what gobbles it up over the quoted base weight, ours came with metallic paint (extra weight over the normal paint) alloy wheels (heavier than the included steel) spare (not included at all) UK type cooker (extra weight over what they would fit for sale over there) Even things like the door fly screen, which isn't standard equipment.

Posted on 04/08/2020 17:53

Exactly, we always travel with full water (160l), we have 2 bikes in garage (1 an ebike) lots of beer and wine and 2 11kg gas tanks.  Went to weigh bridge a few weeks ago and had just under 500kg spare out of 4.5t so was well pleased but on last van although we were about 150kg under the 3850 the rear axle was just about dead on the 2000kg and that was without bikes....

JollyKernow replied on 04/08/2020 21:38

Posted on 04/08/2020 14:24 by Bruffywalnut

Hi everyone 

We've taken delivery this week of our newly converted camper van (VW Crafter) which is plated at 3500kg. We've loaded up ready for our first trip and are weighing in at 3650kgs. We've been told by more experienced motorhome owners that this will be fine if we are stopped for a weight check as there is a 5% tolerance on the plated weight. 

Just wanted to check with the members on here whether that has been your experience too? 

I've tried to find a thread on this subject as I'm sure I've seen it before but couldn't find it today.

Thank you 

Posted on 04/08/2020 21:38

Hi

Some good advice from above posters. So, you've been mis informed regarding the 5% tolerance. If you're stopped roadside by vosa (or whatever they're called now) and weighed and found to be anything overweight you'll be given an opportunity to shed the excess weight or face a hefty fine. In Europe it will be an on the spot big cash fine. 

Best to go through everything you carry and re evaluate do you really need it? Don't carry a full tank of water. Resist the temptation of taking stuff "just in case" you won't need it!

After your first trip, you'll have a good idea of what you really need and what you could shed. 

Hope this helps

JK

Lutz replied on 05/08/2020 08:02

Posted on 05/08/2020 08:02

The 5% tolerance referred to above applies to the MIRO, not to the maximum allowable weight, which is absolute. The MIRO applies only to that vehicle which the manufacturer submitted for type approval, not to the actual vehicle in question. The 5% is to cater for, among other things, differences in equipment between the two vehicles.

derekcyril replied on 05/08/2020 16:01

Posted on 05/08/2020 16:01

If you get tugged , you cannot move till you are down to required weight . Got weighed at stafford , had to take of 2 palletts of bacon , before i could carry on . When firm went to collect them , half had been nicked !

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook