Our recent purchase of a 1997 Peugeot pilote

paulandaveril replied on 14/05/2017 05:17

Posted on 14/05/2017 05:17

we have just purchased a pilote, as we are new members I would like to ask if any one owns or as every owned a similar motorhome.  I have a few problems with it not starting???  Has any one had  a similar problem . Any help would be great

JVB66 replied on 14/05/2017 15:25

Posted on 14/05/2017 15:11 by Milothedog

Before I retired a part of my job was hiring and training the company apprentices, I had 25 on books at anyone time on a rolling 3 year Scheme.  I took great pride in teaching them that diagnosis was a case of understanding how something worked then comparing that to what you had found. If you didn't know how it worked then you are just winging it. I am old school, having served my apprenticeship with a Rootes dealer, remember them?, Stuff we use to repair or re-kit just gets thrown away now. 

My Son, 32, is still amazed when I repair his car and don't buy a whole new part but just the parts that are needed to fix the existing one. Here's one of my other hobbies, I did a complete Nut & bolt restoration on it in 2009. It's 44 years youngsmile

Posted on 14/05/2017 15:25

I first got interested in mechanics when i was at senior school and in 1955 our science teacher asked if any one would like to help him with a project after school and myself and 3 others "volunteered?" we were twelve at the time and the project laughing

It was an Austin Seven Ruby,we took it back to a rolling chassis ,and over 3yrs until we left at at 15 in 1958 it was nearly finished,but he died so,we never saw it finishe, do not know what happened to it frown never did take up motor engineering (Steam  Engines took priority 33yrs on BR)

Ps I had a  used Rover V8 that i bought from a Rover dealers that had a a problem with overheating, when it was in on one occasion they lent me a V8? stag to go on holiday with towing a caravansurprised

Milothedog replied on 14/05/2017 15:37

Posted on 14/05/2017 15:25 by JVB66

I first got interested in mechanics when i was at senior school and in 1955 our science teacher asked if any one would like to help him with a project after school and myself and 3 others "volunteered?" we were twelve at the time and the project 

It was an Austin Seven Ruby,we took it back to a rolling chassis ,and over 3yrs until we left at at 15 in 1958 it was nearly finished,but he died so,we never saw it finishe, do not know what happened to it 

Posted on 14/05/2017 15:37

You got a few years on me smile I wasn't born until 59 wink

Although I took early retirement in 2012, I still like to keep my hand in as it were, and up until then was up to date with the technology. I miss the work, but not the jobcool

Yes my Stag is still its original V8, all be it rebuilt, there are few I know that still tow caravans with them but you are very limited to what you can tow because of its 1225kg (I think) limit.

Apologizes to the OP for going off down memory lane a little.  

beero replied on 14/05/2017 23:46

Posted on 14/05/2017 23:46

I have a 99 Peugeot 1.9 and had difficulty starting when I first had it. I changed the glow plugs and found 2 of them to be faulty. They are not much more difficult to change than spark plugs and the set were less than £30. Worth doing before anything else.

When testing I also found that they heat up for about 20 seconds, not just until the light goes out. If you turn the ignition on then listen under the bonnet you will hear when the relay clicks to turn them off. I now wait 20 seconds for them to heat and it always starts a treat.

paulandaveril replied on 25/04/2019 13:40

Posted on 25/04/2019 13:40

Hi after a couple of years using the motorhome which starts better with new glow plugs . I would now like to tow a small car with the motorhome using an A frame , motorhome would be covered third party . Not sure about the smaller car. My car insurance is quoting extra £500 insurance . Has any member been in a similar situation and would like to share any tips . 

replied on 25/04/2019 13:59

Posted on 25/04/2019 13:40 by paulandaveril

Hi after a couple of years using the motorhome which starts better with new glow plugs . I would now like to tow a small car with the motorhome using an A frame , motorhome would be covered third party . Not sure about the smaller car. My car insurance is quoting extra £500 insurance . Has any member been in a similar situation and would like to share any tips . 

Posted on 25/04/2019 13:59

I would start a new thread with a relevant title rather than tag onto an old thread which is less likely to gain useful responses

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook