Not sure if l really need it

Heethers replied on 05/12/2019 11:51

Posted on 05/12/2019 11:51

l was thinking of having a solar panel fitted to the motorhome, we had one on the caravan it came in useful at home, didn't need to hook up to keep the battery fully charged. we don't do off grid so l am not sure if its worth the extra money to have on installed and just hook up at home once an while to keep the battery healthy, any views

JVB66 replied on 05/12/2019 12:00

Posted on 05/12/2019 12:00

I would think the money is better used for other things,i am sure you take your motor caravan out to keep "mobile"  even for short trips  if not away which would keep batteries charged ,which would,work out a lot cheaper that the cost of a solar panel

KeithandMargaret replied on 05/12/2019 12:35

Posted on 05/12/2019 12:35

we don't do off grid so l am not sure if its worth the extra money

Could I ask why you never go off grid ?

I thought that was one of the benefits of a Motorhome - especially abroad.

DavidKlyne replied on 05/12/2019 13:13

Posted on 05/12/2019 13:13

Does your mains electric system keep your vehicle battery topped up?If not a solar panel could be connected to both batteries. An alternative if there is no charging of the vehicle battery is to fit a Battery Master which would probably be a lot cheaper than a solar panel.

David

SeasideBill replied on 05/12/2019 13:13

Posted on 05/12/2019 13:13

My experience is that batteries that are trickle charged with an ‘intelligent’ charging system last considerably longer than those that are not. For that reason I’d always have a solar panel fitted, whatever my camping habits. At home or in storage a split charging system will keep both leisure and van battery in good condition without need for EHU. Also, if you’ve got Truma iNet fitted, you can turn gas heating on/off from wherever you happen to be if concerned about freezing at home/storage. Solar panel will enable you to run the blower in eco mode for a while and enable you to monitor battery voltage. 

MichaelT replied on 05/12/2019 14:05

Posted on 05/12/2019 12:35 by KeithandMargaret

Posted on 05/12/2019 14:05

I agree, since we changed from a caravan 3 and a half years ago we have rarely used a site, 99% of the time abroad we use Aires, here a mixture of CL's, pub stops, THS etc. and if I were to just use sites and hook up to EHU etc. I would think I may as well stayed with my caravan.

As for the question of having a SP fitted like others say it would keep your batteries topped up and ready to go without having to hook up and solar power is free unlike the stuff that comes out of plugs.

cyberyacht replied on 05/12/2019 14:59

Posted on 05/12/2019 14:59

I've got 120W worth on my MH split, IIRC, 80/20 to keep the batteries topped up. Originally it only charged the leisure battery but I linked in the vehicle one, saving me having to hook up a charger once a month. Additionally some of the most delightful places I've stopped have been "wild camping" on the banks of estuaries or rivers.

lornalou1 replied on 05/12/2019 15:44

Posted on 05/12/2019 13:13 by SeasideBill

My experience is that batteries that are trickle charged with an ‘intelligent’ charging system last considerably longer than those that are not. For that reason I’d always have a solar panel fitted, whatever my camping habits. At home or in storage a split charging system will keep both leisure and van battery in good condition without need for EHU. Also, if you’ve got Truma iNet fitted, you can turn gas heating on/off from wherever you happen to be if concerned about freezing at home/storage. Solar panel will enable you to run the blower in eco mode for a while and enable you to monitor battery voltage. 

Posted on 05/12/2019 15:44

wouldn't you need to leave the gas on to do that. bit dangerous if left on it's own with gas on.

replied on 05/12/2019 15:52

Posted on 05/12/2019 15:44 by lornalou1

wouldn't you need to leave the gas on to do that. bit dangerous if left on it's own with gas on.

Posted on 05/12/2019 15:52

Probably a no-no in storage. 

Tammygirl replied on 05/12/2019 16:17

Posted on 05/12/2019 16:17

We had a MH for 6 years and never went off grid. We toured abroad twice a year for 2 - 3 months at a time but always stayed on sites.

Going off grid or using aires was the reason we moved to a MH, we didn't have a fixed SP but we did have and 80W briefcase type one. Never had the occasion to use it when away but we did use it at home to top up the batteries. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook