Not all batteries are the same

Prescot46 replied on 26/08/2021 12:25

Posted on 26/08/2021 12:25

Through my own carelessness and a bit of misinformation from the dealer when the van was purchased the mobile service engineer told me the leisure battery was dry.  I should have been checking the levels - I was told my battery was sealed.  The engineer topped it up with distilled water in the hope that it might revive.  At the end of the service all seemed to be going well, it was holding a charge and although his meter was showing a weak battery, it was hoped it would recover.  I rechecked the water levels last night and they were fine and other than a few bubbles in the cells it seemed ok.

This morning the CO2 alarm was beeping and I checked the leisure battery. It was very warm and there was a faint smell of sulphur dioxide.  When I removed it there was a slight bulge on the side.  I think I was vey lucky it had not exploded.

Decided to change it and picked up a leisure battery from Halfords. I had a £10 voucher for internet orders. The £95 battery cost £85. Soon discovered not all batteries are the same. When I fitted it, the length and width were okay but it was too tall and the battery box lid would not go on.

The existing battery is what is called a low slung battery at 190mm high whilst the Halfords Class C batteries are 224mm high.  Although Halfords sell an AGM battery with a height of 190mm at £155 there were none in store.  I needed it today as we set off for France tomorrow.

Managed to get a Class C Numax battery the right height at a cost of £139 from a local caravan supplies shop. This one is a sealed unit.

Moral is - check what battery you have and if replacing check the dimension, not all batteries are the same.

mickysf replied on 26/08/2021 22:17

Posted on 26/08/2021 22:17

Do you mean carbon monoxide (CO) gas detector? If yours went off I’m sure the culprit is not the battery at all as they do not give off CO or CO2. The source of the CO detected really needs checking as a point of urgency mind as it is extremely dangerous.

SeasideBill replied on 26/08/2021 22:49

Posted on 26/08/2021 22:17 by mickysf

Do you mean carbon monoxide (CO) gas detector? If yours went off I’m sure the culprit is not the battery at all as they do not give off CO or CO2. The source of the CO detected really needs checking as a point of urgency mind as it is extremely dangerous.

Posted on 26/08/2021 22:49

Some CO detectors can be activated by hydrogen from charging batteries.

mickysf replied on 27/08/2021 07:20

Posted on 26/08/2021 22:49 by SeasideBill

Some CO detectors can be activated by hydrogen from charging batteries.

Posted on 27/08/2021 07:20

That’s useful to know. Could you post the make and model as they would be an excellent addition to our safety and an indication of a battery problem. I’ve never heard or seen of any that do.

SeasideBill replied on 27/08/2021 11:56

Posted on 27/08/2021 11:23 by mickysf

Thanks SB. Still, as it could be a false alarm, the units are not designed or built to detect H or H2S , it would be wise to assume that it possibly is CO. After all, It’s a very dangerous gas which is a hidden killer.

Posted on 27/08/2021 11:56

Absolutely, can’t be too careful. I think most boat owners are familiar with the potential for false alarms, but maybe less so caravan & motorhomers?

I only discovered the different types when I inherited a CO alarm some years ago. Damn thing used to go off in the middle of the night while the EHU was charging the leisure battery and scare us to death. We used to sleep with all the windows open just in case. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook