Noise levels whilst driving

Wh05apk replied on 22/05/2017 09:06

Posted on 22/05/2017 09:06

We have just purchased an Autosleeper Kemerton XL, which is a van conversion, and having now sorted the rattles, just wondered how it compared to other types such as coacbuilt and A classes, at a steady cruise on a smooth road, it is reasonable, but having come from a Lexus hybrid car there is still a lot of background noise, I'm guessing that van conversions like this are possibly better, as I would assume more rigid?

Thornsett replied on 22/05/2017 12:44

Posted on 22/05/2017 12:44

Commercial vans can be noisy because sound resonates within the tin can. Therefore, in a Panel Van Conversion, insulation is used to reduce the noise and keep the van warm or cool. So the amount of noise will probably depend on the quality of insulation. PVCs are more difficult to insulate than coachbuilts and A-classes because of the body shape. 

Coachbuilts and A-classes use a dedicated floor rather than rely on boarding over the commercial vehicles floor. How well this dedicated floor reduces sound will depend on the thickness of the floor and the quality of materials used. 

There are numerous different types of material used in the walls and ceilings of coachbuilts and A-classes. The more luxurious A-classes tend to have two sheets of aluminium separated by a polyurethane product. This makes for a rigid structure although not as much as a PVC unless too many holes are cut into the PVC.

Furnishings, especially carpets, are known to absorb sound. The better the furnishings, the quieter the vehicle is likely to be. AutoTrail used to install their furniture over the carpet to reduce noise. The quality of furniture installed will be a factor. My current A-class has rubberised noise suppressants strategically located.

Tyres, engine insulation, aerodynamics, and suspension will have an impact. How you pack the van has an impact.

I've not seen a PVC over £70k whereas the most expensive A-class I've seen on sale in the UK is over £300k. Therefore, whilst your guess may be right £ for £, I expect that just like cars, the more you spend, the quieter the vehicle. 

Tinwheeler replied on 22/05/2017 13:08

Posted on 22/05/2017 13:08

I think Aspenshaw has really covered all the angles. With any MH you have to remember it is essentially a commercial vehicle and can't be compared with a good car.

Well done on sorting the internal rattles, Wh05, that's at least half the battle won.

huskydog replied on 22/05/2017 15:46

Posted on 22/05/2017 15:46

Don't forget tyre pressures can affect road noise and ride comfort....are they correct for your vehicle and not set for the base vehicle ....

replied on 23/05/2017 20:55

Posted on 23/05/2017 20:55

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook