Newbie - what hose should I carry?

ipt replied on 19/06/2018 08:16

Posted on 19/06/2018 08:16

Not new to camping and caravanning but new to motorhome with on board water tank.

What hose should I carry for filling up on site for my motorhome. There is no technical connection on the motorhome just a straight forward filling point rather like a fuel tank filler point under a lockable flap.

I am wondering should I have food grade hose? and what length? are flat hoses OK to save space?

Ivor

peedee replied on 19/06/2018 08:54

Posted on 19/06/2018 08:54

Food grade flat hoses are best of not less than 15 meters although I prefer one of 25 meters. The disadvantages of flat hoses are you have to fully unwind them to use and they are not so durable as garden hoses.

peedee

MichaelT replied on 19/06/2018 09:17

Posted on 19/06/2018 09:17

We had a roll up hose that broke after a few uses and we found it a faff to keep unwinding and rolling up again so we got one of these.

https://www.yoyoextendablehose.co.uk/

We do not use the water to drink from (5l container for that) so was not worried about food grade, also at home we use the garden hose to fill up anyway.

EmilysDad replied on 19/06/2018 09:27

Posted on 19/06/2018 08:16 by ipt

Not new to camping and caravanning but new to motorhome with on board water tank.

What hose should I carry for filling up on site for my motorhome. There is no technical connection on the motorhome just a straight forward filling point rather like a fuel tank filler point under a lockable flap.

I am wondering should I have food grade hose? and what length? are flat hoses OK to save space?

Ivor

Posted on 19/06/2018 09:27

Our last caravan had an on-board tank with a fuel type filler cap. I carried on of these for such times I could connect directly from a tap.

H B Watson replied on 19/06/2018 12:20

Posted on 19/06/2018 12:20

I use the same as MollyMummy along with a pair of blue (food grade) hoses. I also carry an assortment of tap connectors, a couple of different size screw on ones, and a universal wing nut style one just in case.

KeithandMargaret replied on 19/06/2018 12:35

Posted on 19/06/2018 12:35

I have about four metres of clear plastic pipe (see pic – fastened to inside of garage door) and a 20 metre reel of green garden hose.

In six years of travelling in the UK and France I've only needed the longer pipe on one occasion.

I have a variety of connections and an inlet filler cap (as suggested by MM) for ease of filling.

Hozelock connectors are quite expensive but B&Q (and others) do a cheaper price range and are perfectly adequate.

You may need more of 'B' (in pic) as they tend to be left on the tap quite regularly – well, mine do.

On the plus side you may find the ones I left behind and feel free to use them.

Water filling should be a simple process – let's keep it that way.

Dave Nicholson replied on 19/06/2018 19:14

Posted on 19/06/2018 19:14

In over a decade with a motorhome I’ve never used a hose. I use a watering can with a long spout. It’s good exercise when adding water and you don’t want to be carrying a tank full of water around with you if you’re to remain under 3.5t, assuming this is your limit.

Thornsett replied on 19/06/2018 19:31

Posted on 19/06/2018 19:31

Food grade hose if you are going to drink the water in the tank. Flat hoses work ok but have the downsides mentioned by peedee. Length depends on what sort of motorhoming you do.

I have always used 15m flat food grade hose, split into one 5m long and the other 10m. I have a collection of hozelock connectors as in K&M’s excellent photo.

I do not use an adapter like MollysMummy but it is on my list to get one to save my wife having to hold the hose in the water inlet pipe.

EmilysDad replied on 19/06/2018 21:45

Posted on 19/06/2018 19:14 by Dave Nicholson

In over a decade with a motorhome I’ve never used a hose. I use a watering can with a long spout. It’s good exercise when adding water and you don’t want to be carrying a tank full of water around with you if you’re to remain under 3.5t, assuming this is your limit.

Posted on 19/06/2018 21:45

You don't have to drive round with a full water tank & a gallon or 2 from a watering can won't last long 

H B Watson replied on 20/06/2018 12:29

Posted on 19/06/2018 21:45 by EmilysDad

You don't have to drive round with a full water tank & a gallon or 2 from a watering can won't last long 

Posted on 20/06/2018 12:29

Agreed, just fill up when you enter the site, I normally empty to about 30% when I leave a site if I'm going far.

However I do carry a 2 gallon water bottle for use if I can't reach a tap (or can't be bothered to move).

hitchglitch replied on 20/06/2018 14:43

Posted on 20/06/2018 14:43

Having weighed the motorhome fully laden we are happy to fill up at home with a garden hose and carry the full 100 litre until needing a top-up. We then use the hose provided at the service point but carry a flat hose of around 10m I think which came with the van. Quite handy if you are close to a tap so can fill up from your pitch.

We don’t drink the water but carry mineral water which we buy cheaply and top up at the site tap. The advantage is that you can keep one cool in the fridge. We are not cold weather campers.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook