Need for thermal screens this Spring

cyberyacht replied on 13/04/2018 18:23

Posted on 13/04/2018 18:23

We are planning a trip to Brittany in about four weeks. I'm wondering if I can save a bit of space by leaving my TaylorMade Screens behind. I already have Heki blinds so privacy is not an issue. Anyone like to hazard a guess whether I'll lose too much warmth through the cab at night? As we anticipate staying on a fair few Aires for the odd night, it'll make life a bit easier as well.

Tinwheeler replied on 13/04/2018 18:33

Posted on 13/04/2018 18:33

I would take them, CY. We've needed ours in July before. Not in France, admittedly but Brittany's not that far away.

We keep them tucked under a bunk and they don't take up that much room. Also, it’s not unheard of for cab blinds to break and I always think "what if....".

Dave Nicholson replied on 13/04/2018 18:33

Posted on 13/04/2018 18:33

I'd leave it behind. By early May onwards the temperatures should start to rise in Brittany. We're off to Italy next week via Poland (long way round!) and I don't plan to take the Silverscreen.

Bakers2 replied on 13/04/2018 18:36

Posted on 13/04/2018 18:36

I'd take them. Warm if it's cold, cool if it's warm/hot. Win win 😉. Ours fits neatly behind our passenger seat. 

JVB66 replied on 13/04/2018 18:41

Posted on 13/04/2018 18:41

I would take them if its hot they will help keep the heat outcry,if it turns chilly they will keep the heat inembarassed

young thomas replied on 13/04/2018 18:52

Posted on 13/04/2018 18:52

Middle of May, leave them at home...

you can always turn the heating up if it's cold....other than at night (when you're tucked up) you probably won't need to heat the van....

itll be light till goodness knows what time then (an hour ahead of us) and with a little luck youll be outside most of the time....

if it's hot, the cab blinds will keep most of the sun at bay....keeping the inside of the van cool.

we much prefer to have an open view out of our van hence the reluctance to use exterior screens.

yes, you could be unlucky and get a cold snap....just put the gas heating on....

in winter, in France, yes I would say take them, but we never use them in Spain on the coasts in winter, and France in mid May should be as warm as that.

youre obviously thinking about 'space' and 'faff' otherwise you wouldn't have postedwink

leave them at home and bring back more wine...smile

AOK replied on 13/04/2018 20:29

Posted on 13/04/2018 20:29

As you really haven't got an answer CY, can I ask how much benefit you all get from the screen covers as I have never used them. We do tour during the winter and I know it gets cold and a lot of condensation in the cab area but do the external covers really make a difference ?

Thanks. Gerry

Tinwheeler replied on 13/04/2018 20:40

Posted on 13/04/2018 20:29 by AOK

As you really haven't got an answer CY, can I ask how much benefit you all get from the screen covers as I have never used them. We do tour during the winter and I know it gets cold and a lot of condensation in the cab area but do the external covers really make a difference ?

Thanks. Gerry

Posted on 13/04/2018 20:40

Yes they do make a terrific difference, Gerry. They need to be good quality exterior screens and both Silverscreens and Taylormade insulate the cab windows and stop the dreaded condensation.

Bakers2 replied on 13/04/2018 20:40

Posted on 13/04/2018 20:40

I reckon our external silverscreen is one of our top purchases. In use all the time, we have an older motorhome with cab curtains, a bit of a faff. If we're away in the colder months no condensation on the front screen from cooking or breathing. It's great in the warmer weather for ķeeping the sun/heat out. We have an opening flap so we get light in and open aspect when it's down. If we bought again I'd add the privacy screen which stays up when you pull the flap (in our case full screen width). You can also get longer versions to cover the vents, but we just closed the vent 😉

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook