Mystery item needed

The Wanderer replied on 05/06/2024 12:57

Posted on 05/06/2024 12:57

I have an intermittent problem with the central locking on my motorhome.  It occasionally blows the fuse and so far all attempts to isolate the cause have failed.  I now am concerned that if it fails whilst we are away I won't be able to lock the doors, thus making us very vulnerable!!

As an interim solution I am trying to identify a product, which I am sure I have seen somewhere, that links the cab doors together so that they cannot be opened from the outside.   As I recollect, it was a bar comprising two halves, with a hook at each end to go over the door handles.  You slid one half into the other to adjust the length to fit and the lock it in place.

Just wondering if anyone might know what this item is, or is it just a figment of my imagination?  Any help will be much appreciated.

GEandGJE replied on 05/06/2024 13:13

Posted on 05/06/2024 13:13

I don't think that anybody will be able to help you without knowing the make, model and year of your MH.

peedee replied on 06/06/2024 08:28

Posted on 06/06/2024 08:28

Have you tried isolating each individual door lock to see which one is causing the trouble? As for locking the cab doors together the easiest way is with a length of chain and a padlock. Loop the chain through the door handles and padlock the chain ends so the chain is tight.

peedee

eribaMotters replied on 07/06/2024 08:34

Posted on 07/06/2024 08:34

I don't think you even need a chain and padlock. If you can physically, using the key in the habitation door, lock that door, then a strap between the front door handles tieing one side to the other would work. 

Option 2 would be to leave the dog, that 98% of owners seem to have in the van.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook