Motorhoming off grid

Yetiowner replied on 09/06/2018 21:25

Posted on 09/06/2018 21:25

Hi.  We have a 2017 Burstner 680G Ixeo and will be touring the Outer Hebrides this month. Our model has an electric bed raising and lowering mechanism. I'm likely to use a couple of sites without electric hookup. How much battery charge do these bed mechanisms use and would I have any concerns that the battery would not hold up bearing in mind that obviously lighting would also be a drain? The longest stay at non electric hookup would be 2 nights. I'm concerned that although there is an emergency means of winding the bed up and down if the bed is in its lowest position the winding mechanism is almost inaccessible.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

young thomas replied on 09/06/2018 21:37

Posted on 09/06/2018 21:37

IMHO it shouldn't be an issue....

the battery will be fully charged as you drive to the site.....also, do you have a solar panel fitted that charges the leusure battery?

even if you don't, the bed doesn't use much power...

do you keep your van in the drive?

if so, why not pop in and lower/raise the bed for a couple of days as you would on site....as a test?

lights are likely to be LED and won't use much power.

good luck, nice van....enjoy.

BrianJosie replied on 09/06/2018 22:13

Posted on 09/06/2018 22:13

I totally agree with B.B. that the bed won’t use a lot of power at all.Dont know what you have on board,we have 2 100w solar panels and 3 110ah leisure batteries so can go for very long periods without hook up.But get the gas kettle out leave the electric one in the cupboard,hide the curling tongs and the hairdryer from the other half 😂 and jobs a good un.Im sure you will be fine just go and enjoy your trip and safe travels👍.great looking van😊

Brian & Jo

KeithandMargaret replied on 10/06/2018 09:10

Posted on 10/06/2018 09:10

We have an 80w Solar panel and a second leisure battery and travel in France for weeks and weeks this time of year without using hook up.

With a panel, extra battery and refillable gas cylinders the World is our lobster.

Also ditching the TV will save on power - just sit and admire the magnificent views on the Islands.

Have a great time

young thomas replied on 10/06/2018 09:17

Posted on 10/06/2018 09:17

agree....the Power Management' equation has three components....

how can I accrue power (solar, alrernator)

how can I store power (more batteries means bigger reserve)

how can I regulate power use (gas kettle, less TV, LED lights etc)

everyone doesn't need all the kit that some might have, but a SP (80/120w is great) and a decent battery (and perhaps a second one) will see one on site with power to spare...

of course, short stops with driving will replenish supplies from the alternator.

we use THS sites in the uk and can stay (pretty much) 'indefinitely' in summertime with a 100w SP and twin 95AH leisure batteries.

brue replied on 10/06/2018 13:05

Posted on 10/06/2018 13:05

One good thing about being in the far north will be all the extra daylight available for your solar charging (assuming you have solar power as back up?) so all things being equal, enjoy your stay and the longer days. Have a great time. smile

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook