Motorhome Security

Prescot46 replied on 03/04/2020 13:54

Posted on 03/04/2020 13:54

I had hoped to spend this summer travelling through France and Switzerland using a variety of types of sites (some that would be more secure than others) and thoughts turned to overnight security particularly the driver & passenger doors.

For those with Remis blinds the Fiamma Duo Safe does not seem a possibility.  The gold standard is the Heosafe Anti-Theft Door Lock - expensive and requires you to cut the plastic trim at the bottom corner of the Remis blind.  Not brave enough to try this!

Tried wrapping the seat belt through the door handle but this allows the door to be opened far enough for the belt to be cut.

Rooting about in the garage I found a 4.5m ratchet strap I bought at B&M bargains for £2.99 to use on a roof rack.  This works very well and the doors cannot be opened.

Now I have to work out something for the habitation door.

DavidKlyne replied on 03/04/2020 20:41

Posted on 03/04/2020 20:41

Why not invest in a proper alarm? Something like the VanBitz offering which allows the alarm to be switched off for the habitation area but protects you from someone trying to get in from the outside. However it will cost you more than £3!!!!

David

cyberyacht replied on 04/04/2020 07:44

Posted on 04/04/2020 07:44

I fabricated a bit of alloy angle that slots over the striker bar of the cab door lock. It prevents the door from opening even if the lock is overcome and acts as a deadlock.

replied on 04/04/2020 07:56

Posted on 04/04/2020 07:56

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

SteveL replied on 04/04/2020 08:05

Posted on 04/04/2020 08:05

Our alarm can be set so the internal movement sensors are deactivated but will alarm if any of the doors, including the garage are opened. Only had the MH a year, but so far we have not stopped on any sites / Aires where we have felt the need to do it. Personally if we felt that unsafe we would move on.

Heethers replied on 04/04/2020 08:50

Posted on 04/04/2020 08:50

We have the sigma series s by thatcham alarm on all outer doors plus cab, sure there's a way of disarming while we are inside and  doors are still alarmed, not sure how to do that on the keypad, theirs the big button to alarm and open. a small button l don't know what its for, will have to investigate

SteveL replied on 04/04/2020 09:02

Posted on 04/04/2020 09:02

For our alarm, there is a little button by the light that flashes when set. Just prior to setting you have to press this in a sequence of blips. This deactivates the movement sensors. The system reverts back to normal when unset.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook