Motorhome Sat Nav

welshcake replied on 18/03/2018 17:39

Posted on 18/03/2018 17:39

Hi All,

Hoping that you clever people can suggest a good motorhome sat nav. Baffled by the choice !!

Thanks in advance,

Pat

young thomas replied on 18/03/2018 18:15

Posted on 18/03/2018 18:15

Pat, a regular topic and folk will have their favourit brands....Tomtom, garmin etc...

personally, I use a Tomtom and put no real store by 'caravan' satnavs as their is insufficient road data to support the 'vhicle size' concept...

however, Tomtoms now use MyDrive (on a tablet, linked to your satnav) which allows you to put in your vehicle dimensions and then check the route planned (and altering it if desired) in the tablet prior to uploading it to,the satnav...

if you are also happy to upload your own POI files (Aires, ACSI etc) I'd certsinly not spend £300 on a 'camper' unit....

welshcake replied on 18/03/2018 19:20

Posted on 18/03/2018 19:20

Thanks for the advice BB ...hadn't looked at it that way, as you so rightly say these gadgets are only as good as the info they can access.

Pat

young thomas replied on 19/03/2018 07:35

Posted on 19/03/2018 07:35

...just to add that 'soft' versions (which run on tablets, phones Android or IOS) are also becoming popular, with brands like Co-pilot getting regular mentions from users....if you have a 'spare' cheap android 7" tablet this might be a good option...

again, a degree of user data input re: sizes and a few different planning options..

just another option over the traditional dedicated unit.

ive just got a 6" Tomtom Via 62 and I am giving this a chance....it was about to be superseded, I also got a display unit and had a discount voucher, so only paid just over £100 so worth a try....lifetime maps, traffic via phone, hands free calling etc....

used it a couple of times, works ok....bit slow to update maps via computer and POI management nowhere near as easy as the 'old' Tomtoms where you could drag and drop all your POI files in one go....

however, my maps were out of date and support now withdrawn....

anyway, just a couple more options...

good luck.

cantona325 replied on 17/04/2018 12:26

Posted on 17/04/2018 12:26

Hi,

I recently purchased a "XGODY 7" Truck Sat Nav UK & European Maps For HGV Lorry" via eBay and while I have only used it twice I have found it better then my TomTom which I use in my car. The problem I have with the TomTom is that the routes usually include dirt tracks etc which I only just get away with in the car. With the XGODY I put the motorhome dimensions into my profile and it is supposed to avoid routes that may be too narrow or with height restrictions. Like I say I have only used it twice and it has been fine for me. I went with the XGODY after reading a post on this forum. 

Regards

Leigh

2HappyCampers replied on 01/08/2018 19:55

Posted on 01/08/2018 19:55

Hi Welshcake,

Just wondered if you have bought a sat nav yet and if so which one and if so can you recommend it.

We're are totally stumped which to get.

Thanks in advance

Barbara Matters

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook