Motorhome roof box

Scorrybreck replied on 09/02/2018 16:26

Posted on 09/02/2018 16:26

Hello everyone, I’m new on here, just bought our first motorhome (10-year-old Swift Sundance) although we have owned touring caravans in the past, and have hired motorhomes on a couple of previous occasions so we’re not complete newbies!

I have a query regarding roof-top storage. My new toy has ladder access to the roof and is fitted with roof rails, so it would seem a shame not to make use of them….so I’ve been looking at roof boxes, however they do seem a bit pricey! ‘Proper’ motorhome roof boxes seem to be £300 to £500, whilst ‘car’ roof boxes are still around £200 upwards - but there are also heavy-duty bags that do the same job for only around £50, although they are obviously not rigid. So I just wondered what experiences/recommendations other motorhomers may be able to share? Are the 50-quid bags up to the job? I’d only be storing a couple of camping chairs and other bulky (but not heavy) items….

Tinwheeler replied on 09/02/2018 16:51

Posted on 09/02/2018 16:51

Weight on the roof could be an issue and your handbook should tell you the max allowable. Increasing your height also needs thought.

Personally I’d rather opt for a back box and there’s no way I’d want anything non-rigid flapping about up on the roof.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook