Motorhome purchase

KJR62 replied on 03/09/2020 20:27

Posted on 03/09/2020 20:27

Hi We are looking to move from a tourer to a motorhome, while I am not disabled mobility can be an issue as I cannot walk long distances. All the sites that we would wish to book need to be close to a bus route or relatively short walk to town etc as we do not wish to move the motorhome once sited. Can you offer any advice wether to swap or stay with tourer. Thanks

Tinwheeler replied on 03/09/2020 20:45

Posted on 03/09/2020 20:45

Stay with the tourer.

If you’re not going to move a MH off site, I can’t see the point of making the expensive change.

But, if you’re prepared to buy a small (5 to 6m) MH and use it for travelling to see the sights, it could make your life easier. Part of the joy of a MH is tripping around with all your facilities on board.

DavidKlyne replied on 03/09/2020 21:36

Posted on 03/09/2020 20:27 by KJR62

Hi We are looking to move from a tourer to a motorhome, while I am not disabled mobility can be an issue as I cannot walk long distances. All the sites that we would wish to book need to be close to a bus route or relatively short walk to town etc as we do not wish to move the motorhome once sited. Can you offer any advice wether to swap or stay with tourer. Thanks

Posted on 03/09/2020 21:36

I think we would need to know a little more for the reasons for changing? We changed 7 years ago from a caravan to a motorhome and we are now on our second one. We tend not to stay in one place for more than 4/5 days sometimes less. We are heading towards out middle seventies and mobility is starting to take its toll but we manage pretty well in finding sites near to towns/villages or near to public transport. It just takes a bit more research beforehand. Depending on the size of motorhome you buy the smaller it is gives you more freedom to get out and about. We certainly don't miss what we perceived as a lot of fuss and bother getting a caravan ready for the off and setting up on site. Obviously if you stay somewhere for two weeks that perceived bother makes less of an impact.

David

JVB66 replied on 03/09/2020 21:49

Posted on 03/09/2020 21:49

Stay with the tourer  unless you get a motor caravan small enough to be comfortable with finding what it seems is less and less parking,

we have had two motor caravans a PVC and a coachbiult ,but have not regretted going back to towing ,

we now have a vehicle alongside that can go almost anywhere and do not as in the past when getting less mobile,  sites as you are wanting to find,  close to bus routes and or civilisation

ps remember the space you have now and the size of motor caravan to get the same 

SteveL replied on 03/09/2020 22:50

Posted on 03/09/2020 22:50

We changed to a MH in March 2019 after 15 years with a caravan. So far we have not regretted the change. We are still reasonably mobile but even if this is an issue there are plenty of sites close to public transport and villages. The big plus for us is the ease of moving on and set up, so where as with a caravan we would spend a week on a site, now we move every 2 / 4 days. Shopping can be done on route at a convenient supermarket. Abroad it is even more versatile, if you are prepared to use Aires there is normally something close or even right in the centre of what you want to visit.

The other big plus, for me at least, it is so much nicer to drive than our XTrail towing a Bailey Cadiz. Particularly abroad we can travel much greater distances without feeling drained at the end of it.

KJR62 replied on 04/09/2020 08:50

Posted on 04/09/2020 08:50

Thanks for your replies, the motorhome we are looking to buy is 6.6/6.8m in length. I think we will have to buy it and deal with any issues as they come along.

Tinwheeler replied on 04/09/2020 09:00

Posted on 04/09/2020 08:50 by KJR62

Thanks for your replies, the motorhome we are looking to buy is 6.6/6.8m in length. I think we will have to buy it and deal with any issues as they come along.

Posted on 04/09/2020 09:00

Looks like you've already made up your mind, then. 🤷‍♂️

DavidKlyne replied on 04/09/2020 09:33

Posted on 04/09/2020 09:33

I hope it all goes well. Just be prepared for it to take a while to get used to the change. You may take to it like a duck to water or you may have a few doubts but often the more you get used to it the more it confirms your original reasons for changing. Sensible choice of size, there is often a temptation to go too large with a first motorhome which does tend to limit the options.

David

eurortraveller replied on 04/09/2020 09:48

Posted on 04/09/2020 09:48

Rent one that size for a month, tour around and see how you get on. 

JVB66 replied on 04/09/2020 09:49

Posted on 04/09/2020 09:49

It seems your mind is already made up? good luck surprised

keep your aquaroll and wastemaster to save moving when on sites or get a couple of watering cans to keep water topped upwink

Show OH where waste outlet is to save a lot of "dancing" to line up with drains as she can possibly? helpcool

ps you will need two leveling rampsundecided

Tammygirl replied on 04/09/2020 10:05

Posted on 04/09/2020 10:05

My view is if you have mobility issues then a caravan is the better choice unless you go to a small van like TW suggested.

We don't have mobility issues but after 6 years of owning a 6.6m coach-built motorhome we moved back to a caravan as we felt we were missing out on sightseeing especially in the UK. 

We have recently bought a PVC 6.3m, we have used it for the last few months in Scotland for short trips away and we are confident that we can take it anywhere without the problems we had with the coachbulit.

A motorhome is good if your problem is managing the water barrels are becoming an issue or that the hitching up is a problem. However if general walking is the issue a motorhome the size you are thinking off will not help as you can't take it everywhere you want to go.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook