Motorhome or caravan?

XineAndDogs replied on 23/05/2018 20:14

Posted on 23/05/2018 20:14

Having just sold my Gobur Folding Caravan, I’m trying decide whether to replace with a Motorhome or a ‘proper’ Caravan. I need to consider costs. I have 2 dogs, I enjoy walking holidays.

What are the pros and cons? I recognise that a motorhome needs insurance, maintenance etc and once on site you don’t have independent transport. I know that a caravan can be really challenging to tow and manoeuvre.

What other considerations, please? What solutions to the above issues?

Thanks in advance.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/05/2018 20:33

Posted on 23/05/2018 20:33

I think you've pretty much covered it.

As for solutions, it depends what you perceive to be problems.

Insurance, maintenance etc on a MH is, in our case, less expensive than a tow car and caravan. If you choose a small MH then you may not need secondary transport - we don’t have any and haven’t yet used public transport. We did hire a car on one occasion which added £100 to the cost of the holiday and was well worth it. We find a MH much easier mainly due to not having to wind corner steadies or fetch and carry water. Instead we stop at the MHSP on arriving or leaving a site. A MH of under 3050kg unladen is governed by the same road rules as cars so you can, for instance, do 70mph on m/ways and use the outside lane which makes for faster progress.

Manoeuvring a cvan can be helped by fitting a motor mover but if towing is a problem there’s only one answer - don’t do it.

A lot depends on whether you want to stay on site for a while which a cvan lends itself to, or whether you want to tour and move on more frequently which is easier with a MH.

DavidKlyne replied on 23/05/2018 21:26

Posted on 23/05/2018 21:26

I know that a caravan can be really challenging to tow and manoeuvre.

Whilst I accept that a conventional caravan will have some different towing characteristics from the Gobur you obviously have quite a lot of towing experience which will put you in good stead if you decide on a caravan. 

Moving to a motorhome does require a different mindset. The smaller you can manage with is probably better as it could use it for day trips etc. When we changed we went for a larger model and don't take it off site. We tend to use sites near to towns and villages or near public transport which we find suits us. However you mention you have dogs and not all bus services, for example, allow dogs which might be restrictive. 

Good luck with the decision.

David

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook