Motorhome Insurance in storage or at home

hitchglitch replied on 27/04/2017 16:49

Posted on 27/04/2017 16:49

Most of the year we keep our Motorhome in a farmer's field. It has a padlocked gate but that's it.

This year we decided to keep the vehicle at home on the driveway. When I renewed the insurance I was told that I couldn't have two locations so I changed it to "home". The result - £20 extra due to the postcode.

So then the builders arrived and it had to go back to the storage location. Result - a small refund! 

In the end the Insurance Company agreed that it was OK to have the storage location as the main address but it could be kept on the driveway for, say, 1-2 weeks at a time for cleaning, maintenance and packing to go away.

So it is a nuisance because I really want to use both locations interchangeably but "the computer" won't allow it.

Anybody else have this problem?

Randomcamper replied on 27/04/2017 16:56

Posted on 27/04/2017 16:56

The insurance company seem to have accepted both locations and will surely have no idea other than what you tell them (wink)  as to where the van has been recently, unless you have a black box/tracker......

I would just crack on and use it as it suits you.....

MichaelT replied on 27/04/2017 16:57

Posted on 27/04/2017 16:57

Generally the wording of any policy is where it is normally kept at night e.g. on the road/drive/garage etc.  So I guess so long as you tell the truth that it is normally at home or in storage it would be covered if anything happened when it was in the other place.

JimE replied on 28/04/2017 12:17

Posted on 28/04/2017 12:17

I keep my MH under cover in a dutch barn about a mile away from my house and that is the address I have given my insurers as the garaging address.  As I'm sure many people do, I bring it back home a few days before any trip to get it ready and vice versa on my return home.  

My insurers (Safeguard) have never been bothered about these arrangements but, when I sought an alternative quote from Comfort a year or two ago, they said they wouldn't quote because the MH wasn't kept at home.

hitchglitch replied on 28/04/2017 14:56

Posted on 28/04/2017 12:17 by JimE

I keep my MH under cover in a dutch barn about a mile away from my house and that is the address I have given my insurers as the garaging address.  As I'm sure many people do, I bring it back home a few days before any trip to get it ready and vice versa on my return home.  

My insurers (Safeguard) have never been bothered about these arrangements but, when I sought an alternative quote from Comfort a year or two ago, they said they wouldn't quote because the MH wasn't kept at home.

Posted on 28/04/2017 14:56

Interesting Jim. We use Safeguard and all they wanted to know was whether it was private property and what the postcode was. I also like that they cover European breakdown. We renewed with them although they weren't the cheapest.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook