Motorhome enquiry

Trini replied on 07/03/2024 11:19

Posted on 07/03/2024 11:19

We are thinking about changing our caravan for a motorhome with a fixed rear island bed preferably seperate toilet/shower but with Alde heating.

Our caravan has these but we now feel as we're getting older a motorhome will be easier to handle. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Tinwheeler replied on 07/03/2024 11:49

Posted on 07/03/2024 11:49

It’s a move many of us have made and I think every one of us who has done so would urge you not to try to replicate your caravan when choosing a MH. The reason is that you will inevitably end up with a big unwieldy MH that is far from convenient to manoeuvre and find yourself needing secondary transport such as a small car. Been there, done that!

In terms of MHs, big is not necessarily better so please think hard and have a good look around the various layouts and MHs on offer. As well as visualising yourselves living in it on site, imagine travelling on narrow roads, visiting the beach or supermarket etc. Good luck ๐Ÿ‘

LLM replied on 07/03/2024 12:21

Posted on 07/03/2024 11:19 by Trini

We are thinking about changing our caravan for a motorhome with a fixed rear island bed preferably seperate toilet/shower but with Alde heating.

Our caravan has these but we now feel as we're getting older a motorhome will be easier to handle. 

Posted on 07/03/2024 12:21

My only points of advice would be:

Make sure you have your C1 licence if you want to buy a 3.5t plus unit.

Hire one to try out.

Don't buy British.  Continental vans are much much better built.

SteveL replied on 07/03/2024 12:45

Posted on 07/03/2024 12:45

As TW states you need to spend plenty of time considering the options. In total we spent a couple of years, visiting the shows and various dealers, as well as talking with friends who have made the transition. It would be a very expensive mistake if you got it wrong. 

We had a large single axle Bailey Cadiz with Alde heating and quickly realised if we tried to replicate anything like that we would have to go over 3.5 tonnes. As I was approaching 70 at the time our aim was to stay under that as well as having a reasonable payload. You also have to consider where you are going to put all the things you carry in the car, chairs table BBQ etc. We decided what ever we went for we wanted decent garage, which ruled most UK models. We did want a fixed bed, which that layout provided over the garage. Although ours can be used as a double, we dispense with some of the weight that requires and use them as two singles, the stairs between them provide for very easy access even in our advancing years๐Ÿ˜‚ Although we investigated a few PVC’s we decided that was just a step to far and ended up with a Hymer Exsis-t, just under 7 metres long and 2.21 wide. It has the Truma blown air heating, which although I don’t like it as much as the Alde, is a fair bit lighter and hence gives a bit more payload.

After using it for 5 years we don’t regret our choice, or changing from a caravan. I will never go back. At the size it is, manoeuvring has not been a major issue, supermarkets have  been OK as have most National Trust like places, with a bit of research.

Tinwheeler replied on 07/03/2024 12:56

Posted on 07/03/2024 12:56

I know exactly what you mean about the PVCs being a step too far when moving from a caravan, Steve. For us it had to be done in stages from large coachbuilt to 6.4 coachbuilt, to 6m PVC, to 5m PVC, to campervan. It’s surprising how quickly we adapted to smaller vans and different layouts even though at the start we hated the models we eventually progressed to.

DavidKlyne replied on 07/03/2024 12:56

Posted on 07/03/2024 11:19 by Trini

Posted on 07/03/2024 12:56

Trini

We did the same 10 years ago and are now on our second motorhome. In my view that a motorhome is much easier to handle, in all sorts of ways, compared to a caravan. You basically start it up and drive off as you would a car. No checking lights, tyre pressures, nose weight etc, etc. Set up and moving off are also easier. That all sounds as if a motorhome is the panacea for everything which of course it is not. The major thing you need to decide is how do you intend to use the motorhome. If you intend to always stay on campsites and use other means to get around like walking/cycling/bus/car then size is not so important and you might well be able to replicate what you have in your caravan. However if the intention is to use the motorhome to visit places and want to park in towns and carparks then the smaller option would be wise. Having a caravan you are used to having beds all at one level. There are so many motorhomes now which have beds you have to climb up into or drop down beds, but still higher than you are used to you have to be comfortable that you can both manage with that. If you want low level beds like you have in your caravan you will almost certainly have to opt for a UK built model depending on the size you decide on. It does take some thinking about so take your time and look at as many as you can. Unless you are intending to buy in the next few months a visit to the NEC show provides a useful shop window on what is available which will either help or hinder! Final bit of advice, if buying new is to try and buy reasonably local to where you live which will make servicing and sorting any warranty issues easier for you. Good Luck.

David

Wherenext replied on 07/03/2024 13:46

Posted on 07/03/2024 13:46

TW wrote - I know exactly what you mean about the PVCs being a step too far when moving from a caravan,

I think it also depends on what sort of size caravans you have had in your caravanning life. We've had various sizes including a really small Lunar Ariva, which we had no problems living with. 

I think we'd have more trouble upsizing than, say, moving into a PVC, which will be a distinct possibility fairly soon methinks.

Tinwheeler replied on 07/03/2024 14:09

Posted on 07/03/2024 13:46 by Wherenext

TW wrote - I know exactly what you mean about the PVCs being a step too far when moving from a caravan,

I think it also depends on what sort of size caravans you have had in your caravanning life. We've had various sizes including a really small Lunar Ariva, which we had no problems living with. 

I think we'd have more trouble upsizing than, say, moving into a PVC, which will be a distinct possibility fairly soon methinks.

Posted on 07/03/2024 14:09

We too had various sized caravans, WN, from the 10ft Bluebird in my avatar up to a massive T/A Bessacarr and many in between. If you go for a PVC, I’m sure you will soon adapt. I think it’s the narrower width that takes most getting used to but, when it comes to storage, I’m always surprised by the large capacity of the roof lockers.

Hja replied on 07/03/2024 14:59

Posted on 07/03/2024 14:59

"They say" you will not find your ideal motorhome until your third! We swapped from a caravan with a bed that had to be made up (we had had fixed bed in the past) and a super washroom with big shower, wardrobe, drawers etc. We had done our research, knew not to replicate, knew about 3500kg limit. We selected a 6.4m motorhome, settees to be made into beds, decent kitchen (oven, grill, microwave) smaller washroom, but still a shower with a swing wall, so not everything got wet. After a couple of years we found we were not so keen. A few internal design issues, but also, although "normal" width, so not easy driving down narrow roads. We also didnt like the comformatic gear box. We have swapped to a 6.4m PVC with a true auto gear box. Fixed single beds, but a couple of steps (with storage) make it easy to get in and out, even at night, garage under beds is great. Still adequate shower with swing wall. Narrower than motorhome so driving easy and parking not too bad (height barriers excepted). Kitchen is now two burner hob and remoska if on hook up. But still plenty of work surface. This is very definitely the van for us. When we first swapped from  from a caravan we looked at PVCs and thought "no way". True, our motorhomeing habits have changed, so more nights with out EHU, easier to do one night stops. We rarely stop more than 4 nights anywhere, but didnt with the caravan either. We also use our van facilities in preference to those on a site.

So I think the smallest you can manage is best. Think hard about how you want to holiday. Which in a way comes back to why you are swapping. We wanted to get rid of all the faff of hitching, unhitching, and to no longer tow, but also for it to be easier to move between locations.

I endorse everything every one else has said. But one other thought - investigate payloads. A bigger van doesnt necessarily mean a bigger payload. The payloads listed in catalogues are notoriously wrong, often being an underestimate. Have a search on other forums about payload to get a good idea.

mickysf replied on 07/03/2024 15:14

Posted on 07/03/2024 15:14

Over 4 and a half decades we have moved ‘backwards and forwards’ several times between trailer tents, caravans, PVCs and motorhomes. The change have always been down to need and circumstance. As children arrived, grew up, flew the nest and now older age changes were inevitable. Never regretted any change but we were always mindful of the demands associated with the changing stages of our lives.

Presently we have a smallish motorhome with no fixed bed, just two long bench seats making single beds at night. It suits us for now but one day another PVC or caravan may just be more appropriate. My advice would be do your research, embrace those inevitable compromises all options bring, make your choice and then enjoy to the full.

Tammygirl replied on 07/03/2024 19:18

Posted on 07/03/2024 13:46 by Wherenext

Posted on 07/03/2024 19:18

We have a 6.36m PVC love it. Plenty of room, in fact the kitchen area is bigger than in our previous MH which was a little longer. The compromise with a PVC is that the bathrooms tend to be smaller, doesn't bother us in anyway but I know for some that would be an issue. 

The long lounge seats can be slept as singles or a king size bed. 

The cab seats on our version can both be turned around and we have a round table on a pole that we can use either in the front cab area or in the rear lounge area. 

When we are away in warm weather we can leave the beds as they if we so wish. We tend to spend most of the day outside, only going in once it cools down or gets dark. 

We can go anywhere that white van man can go and often take it off site for the day. We even go out from home for the day to the coast or the hills. It's so nice to have everything with you should you need it. 

You won't regret it. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook