Motorhome Door Locks

JaneandIan replied on 11/06/2017 10:34

Posted on 11/06/2017 10:34

Hi everyone. We have been having a circular discussion about the value (or not) of putting additional habitation door locks on our motorhome. Do they act as a deterrent or as an advert that there may be something worth taking? Wouldn't any thief just use windows? If we did use them then which are best? Any thoughts would be very welcome.

JVB66 replied on 11/06/2017 10:46

Posted on 11/06/2017 10:46

We have a Fiamma Handle on all our Habitation doors which helps entrance/exit (at our age) but cannot see that it would "attract" low lifes,if they want something nothing will stop them

KeithandMargaret replied on 11/06/2017 12:08

Posted on 11/06/2017 12:08

Personally I'd not bother with spending money on extra external door locks - if they are determined to break in while the vehicle is empty then they still have a relatively easy way in via the plastic windows.

And they would only cause more bodywork damage by levering the extra handles off, if they took that route, when breaking in and it would only hinder them for a few seconds.

If you're bothered about having the MH stolen then fit a tracking device.

Keeping blinds and curtains drawn would hide what may be inside and taking out anything of value would save you from any great financial loss.

peedee replied on 11/06/2017 13:00

Posted on 11/06/2017 13:00

I would fit a good alarm and immobilser system rather than go to extra locks and a tracker, the latter usually has an ongoing cost.

peedee

JaneandIan replied on 11/06/2017 19:03

Posted on 11/06/2017 19:03

Thanks folks - you have pretty much confirmed the way we were thinking. We have alarms we can set on the windows and door as a deterrent but have decided that prudence in what we take with is is probably the best of options. we don't have TVs etc so ...

DavidKlyne replied on 11/06/2017 21:03

Posted on 11/06/2017 21:03

I am not sure that motorhome habitation doors are that secure to a determined thief. I reckon a crowbar would easily open one. Whilst I agree a good alarm system  is a worthwhile investment most thefts from motorhome/caravans are opportunistic in nature and  in and out in seconds is the desired approach. With something like a Fiamma D Lock it makes breaking in via the habitation door much more difficult which might be enough to deter someone and encourage them to move on to another vehicle.

David

peegeenine replied on 11/06/2017 21:53

Posted on 11/06/2017 21:53

I think it would be difficult to crowbar the habitation door on my Bolero. It has twin 2 stage locking points, which I believe to be burst proof, just the same as the cab doors. I thought it was part of the regulations for MHs that all doors must comply with vehicle door regs but having looked at some new MHs recently I'm not so sure now. Even some expensive continental MHs look a bit weak and some MHs still only have a single catch. An exterior door lock may be worthwhile in those instances.

MichaelT replied on 13/06/2017 12:11

Posted on 13/06/2017 12:11

Whatever you do to the doors the windows are just flimsy plastic albeit harder to climb into but easier to crow bar open...

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook