motorhome covers

wye replied on 09/03/2018 18:40

Posted on 09/03/2018 18:40

Good question .

I have a  protect cover for my caravan and its a goodun .

Looking to change to a Motorhome this year and would also be interested in feedback .

wye replied on 09/03/2018 19:13

Posted on 09/03/2018 18:53 by Tinwheeler

What are you asking, Catherime? That’s very obscure.

Posted on 09/03/2018 19:13

Are they particularly differcult to fit , are they  very expensive .

Apart from the benefit of keeping it clean and  covered from the elements 

If any motorhomers out there use them , above are the pros , what about the cons please ?

Tinwheeler replied on 09/03/2018 20:05

Posted on 09/03/2018 19:13 by wye

Are they particularly differcult to fit , are they  very expensive .

Apart from the benefit of keeping it clean and  covered from the elements 

If any motorhomers out there use them , above are the pros , what about the cons please ?

Posted on 09/03/2018 20:05

I guess those are your questions, Wye, as we don’t know what the OP is asking.

Personally, I don’t use a cover for the simple reason that, unlike a caravan, a MH is a motor vehicle and will benefit from regular use to keep the mechanical parts turning. Would you wrap your existing tow car up for weeks/months and expect all to be well? 

In addition, the MH batteries will need charging and you will do this either by accessing the batteries and control panel or via a solar panel on the roof. Ha, lightbulb moment! smile

We make a point of running our MH every 2-3 weeks to keep the bits moving and the batteries are charged in between. It’s not necessary to stay in it but it makes for a great day out.

wye replied on 09/03/2018 20:53

Posted on 09/03/2018 20:53

Tinwheeler I caravan all year round when I return I clean and dry the van .

Then cover even if only for a week or so until the next trip

When I ordered the cover , it has a clear plastic area which enables the 140 panel to charge the batteries .

Tinwheeler replied on 09/03/2018 22:00

Posted on 09/03/2018 20:53 by wye

Tinwheeler I caravan all year round when I return I clean and dry the van .

Then cover even if only for a week or so until the next trip

When I ordered the cover , it has a clear plastic area which enables the 140 panel to charge the batteries .

Posted on 09/03/2018 22:00

So presumably you intend to do the same with the MH?

Sorry, I can't help with the question re cons for the reasons already given but I’d not want to try fitting a cover as MHs are that much higher than cvans. 

ABM replied on 09/03/2018 23:06

Posted on 09/03/2018 23:06

The only covers near my m/van are the wrap around covers on the  doors & windscreen i.e. the thermal ones & the duvet inside.laughing

But  I  use  it  as  my  only  form  of  transport  so  any  other  covering  would  be  pointless.

Paolo Imberino replied on 10/03/2018 08:52

Posted on 10/03/2018 08:52

I spray my MH roof twice a year with "Wet & Forget" to stop any moss, mould or algae growing. It keeps the roof in tip top condition. Otherwise I wash MH when needed. I do use an external screen cover to stop condensation on inside of screen.

I certainly don't use a full cover even with corner poles to pull over. Too much work to gain very little.

TonyIshUK replied on 17/03/2018 17:01

Posted on 17/03/2018 17:01

My feeling is that any cover could move and cause scratches, either in the wind, or when taking it off.  More difficult to Make good than just washing the dirt off the bodywork. 

Scratches on Windows and roof lights are particularly labour intensive to put right.  

Also the ability to go out for a day, is somewhat muted, if you have to remove a water soaked heavy cover.

now a properly design tall wide garage is a different, a proper ""person"" shed.  I have to be PC nowadays ;-(  

rgds

InaD replied on 18/03/2018 12:51

Posted on 18/03/2018 12:51

Never considered a MH cover.  For one thing, I would imagine it to be a pain in the proverbial to fit, due to the height of it.  Other than that, I agree that scratches would also worry me.  The only thing we do is put the windscreen cover on.  We have had it treated by Paintseal, so washing it isn't that bad.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook