Lpg tank

billiejo replied on 10/04/2023 04:19

Posted on 10/04/2023 04:19

Hi we are thinking of changing from a caravan to a motor home but the majority of them use on board lpg tanks instead of bottles. I am slightly concerned as to the availability of places to fill up as the tank only holds around 25 litres which is equivalent to 2 Calor bottles. Has anyone got thoughts or had problems getting gas. Thanks any help appreciated. 

Justus2 replied on 10/04/2023 07:27

Posted on 10/04/2023 07:27

We use the Autogas app or website mostly, there are others but we prefer it as it seems the most up-to-date. We have a few favourite filling stations, there is only one in our home town, but you can fill up anywhere on the way to your destination. Our tank is 20lts but stops at 18 to leave space for expansion equivalent to 9kg.. we usually start looking to top up when it's half empty. Not run out in seven years. 

Tinwheeler replied on 10/04/2023 09:00

Posted on 10/04/2023 09:00

There’s also difficulty in obtaining exchange bottles at present so I doubt having a gas tank is a negative. It’s swings and roundabouts.

Although some places are withdrawing auto gas pumps, others are installing them. 

There are threads about it on here somewhere. Try this -

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/welcome-hobby-talk/tips-for-making-caravanning-touring-cheaper/map-sheet-of-lpg-uk-stations-for-refilables/

billiejo replied on 10/04/2023 09:17

Posted on 10/04/2023 09:17

Thanks for that trouble is I have been looking at various Webb sites and maps but there seems to be a lot of areas in south west and mid wales that have nothing. Unfortunately we have had a caravan for 30 plus years and it is just trying to adjust. It would make life easier if caravan club sites sold lpg as they all have a bulk tank. 

Tinwheeler replied on 10/04/2023 09:33

Posted on 10/04/2023 09:33

I’m in the SW and always managed to get gas somewhere. Are you aware that Marquis have installed a pump at their Exeter branch and intend to do the same elsewhere?

Camc bulk tanks are not the same set up as at dispensing sites and there are massive H&S implications and regulations involved.

If the thought of a gas tank causes you concern, look at MHs using bottles instead but consider how much gas you use as you won’t need to fill a tank very often unless you rely on gas and don’t use EHU. 

replied on 10/04/2023 09:36

Posted on 10/04/2023 09:17 by billiejo

Thanks for that trouble is I have been looking at various Webb sites and maps but there seems to be a lot of areas in south west and mid wales that have nothing. Unfortunately we have had a caravan for 30 plus years and it is just trying to adjust. It would make life easier if caravan club sites sold lpg as they all have a bulk tank. 

Posted on 10/04/2023 09:36

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

billiejo replied on 10/04/2023 09:50

Posted on 10/04/2023 09:50

Yes finding a MH with bottles is an option but they are not as available as the ones with tanks also the on board tank would be easier when going abroad. Will have to keep mulling it over but thanks for all your input. 

Tinwheeler replied on 10/04/2023 10:12

Posted on 10/04/2023 10:12

Personally, I would buy the MH that suits my needs best and whether it had a gas tank or bottles would not be a concern to me.

Good luck. May I suggest you look at MH forums for further info once you have a clearer idea of the models you’re interested in. There are a lot of forums out there. Here’s a couple.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forum/4-motorhomes/

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com for Autosleeper brand

DavidKlyne replied on 10/04/2023 12:56

Posted on 10/04/2023 09:50 by billiejo

Yes finding a MH with bottles is an option but they are not as available as the ones with tanks also the on board tank would be easier when going abroad. Will have to keep mulling it over but thanks for all your input. 

Posted on 10/04/2023 12:56

It might be down to the type of motorhome you are looking for. Many van conversions have underslung LPG tanks as it saves room within the confines of the van. However many Coach Built vans have traditional gas lockers, both my Bailey motorhomes have had gas lockers. Some manufacturers favour the fixed tank systems others don't. It will depend on what your ideal type of motorhome is, it can be confusing!

David

Hja replied on 10/04/2023 13:22

Posted on 10/04/2023 13:22

Our PVC came with the option of exchangeable cylinders or refillable. We opted for refillable without question, having had an underslung tank on our other van. They have an external fill point, which I think is important. Just makes filling that bit easier, and in some cases less controversial.

The main thing to consider with refillable lpg is that you do not have to wait until your tank is empty before refilling, as you do with exchange cylinders.  So you fill where you travel, not necessarily at home.  There are two or three apps/website which show outlets.

I would suggest you look at the forum Motorhome Fun, if you haven’t already found it. You can search without having to join. There are two or three current threads about lpg and a few older ones. They will provide lots of interesting info.

JollyKernow replied on 10/04/2023 18:08

Posted on 10/04/2023 09:17 by billiejo

Posted on 10/04/2023 18:08

Depending on the van type you are looking for I would say there are far more with a bottle store rather than an underslung tank. Personally I'd look at one with bottles so you could have a refillable one and space for either a calor or one from whatever country you're in.

Not all club sites have bulk tanks by the way.

JK

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook