Low pressure warning signals

rayjsj replied on 03/12/2020 11:10

Posted on 03/12/2020 11:10

This subject was mentioned on another thread,  Why? Are the sensors fitted in new Motorhome wheels/tyres not adjustable by the owner ?

Because I have found the optimum tyre pressures which give a comfortable ride as well as good road holding and MPG, WHY ? should I have to put up with seeing a constant low pressure warning on my Van's dash ?  Which is surely negating the REAL safety use of the sensors.

When the tyres are replaced  can I remove the sensors and substitute them with an Adjustable Tyre Pal system which IS adjustable. Without breaking any laws ?

hitchglitch replied on 03/12/2020 13:36

Posted on 03/12/2020 13:36

The pressure warning points can be reconfigured through the OBD port - certainly for Peugeot. Unfortunately, in my experience it requires a main dealer and they will charge labour. According to another forum,  it’s possible they may refuse to change the set points from the manufacturer’s pre-set due to safety concerns and I can see the logic of that. My local Peugeot garage couldn’t do it despite having the Peugeot software.

EmilysDad replied on 03/12/2020 15:19

Posted on 03/12/2020 15:19

This has been mentioned here before. I think it's bizarre that Peugeot have set their vehicles' tpms to a value that can't be altered by the end user. My Merc uses a tyre deflation monitoring system ie it uses the ABS sensors to look out for a wheel that's going faster that it should, but I can reset it to default at whatever pressure I want to.

Phishing replied on 15/12/2020 19:37

Posted on 15/12/2020 19:37

The manufacturers spend 1000s of hours and millions of pounds validating the safest possible settings for the tyre combinations to stop premature wear, loss of control, and death.

This is to stop people who know better than them from running their vehicle not in accordance with the tyre pressures listed in the handbook and on the tyre pressure information panel.

The clue is in the word Warning, this means you have potentially made your vehicle unsafe to drive on the road and they are legally obliged to tell you this.

The OE sensors are far better than an aftermarket product, and no you can not remove them if they were supplied by the manufacturer (although this is physically possible), this would compromise the safety of the vehicle and invalidate your insurance and is an MOT failure. 

EmilysDad replied on 15/12/2020 20:30

Posted on 15/12/2020 20:30

A rather patronising reply there Phishing. The base vehicle manufacture assumes that the vehicle is to be used commercially & set their tpms up accordingly. But not all these vehicles will be vans and so their tyre pressure don't need to be as high

Phishing replied on 15/12/2020 22:58

Posted on 15/12/2020 22:58

Yes, agree but I work in vehicle validation and trust me when I tell you that there really are reasons over and above weight that determine the tyre pressures. The dynamics, handling, and braking of vehicles can be dramatically altered by the tyre pressures.

Sorry for the sarcastic reply but there really is good reason why fitment of TPMS was adopted in law for virtually all automotive regions, it saves lives. Van tyres are designed to run high pressures and should be inflated as instructed.

There is an argument (particularly with caravans) that the manufacturers could have a system of lower rated pressures dependent on the vehicle application. The cost of validation of the TPMS, braking and safety systems for all these different applications and the certification of all the options is just to costly. So you end up with the best safest option for all. 

EmilysDad replied on 16/12/2020 08:47

Posted on 15/12/2020 22:58 by Phishing

Yes, agree but I work in vehicle validation and trust me when I tell you that there really are reasons over and above weight that determine the tyre pressures. The dynamics, handling, and braking of vehicles can be dramatically altered by the tyre pressures.

Sorry for the sarcastic reply but there really is good reason why fitment of TPMS was adopted in law for virtually all automotive regions, it saves lives. Van tyres are designed to run high pressures and should be inflated as instructed.

There is an argument (particularly with caravans) that the manufacturers could have a system of lower rated pressures dependent on the vehicle application. The cost of validation of the TPMS, braking and safety systems for all these different applications and the certification of all the options is just to costly. So you end up with the best safest option for all. 

Posted on 16/12/2020 08:47

I understand your reply. And having experienced driving with excessive tyre pressures in my car, the car was all over the place, I know exactly what you mean re handling, dynamics etc

But why can I reset the indirect ABS based system on my Merc to what ever pressure I want to when the vehicle above has had it pressure settings fixed with its TPMS?

LLM replied on 16/12/2020 09:12

Posted on 15/12/2020 19:37 by Phishing

The manufacturers spend 1000s of hours and millions of pounds validating the safest possible settings for the tyre combinations to stop premature wear, loss of control, and death.

This is to stop people who know better than them from running their vehicle not in accordance with the tyre pressures listed in the handbook and on the tyre pressure information panel.

The clue is in the word Warning, this means you have potentially made your vehicle unsafe to drive on the road and they are legally obliged to tell you this.

The OE sensors are far better than an aftermarket product, and no you can not remove them if they were supplied by the manufacturer (although this is physically possible), this would compromise the safety of the vehicle and invalidate your insurance and is an MOT failure. 

Posted on 16/12/2020 09:12

I think the point is that the manufacturer sets the pressure for the base vehicle covering the maximum that it is designed to carry.  It cannot take in to account the unknown changes that are made to that vehicle when it is converted to something else, such as a motorhome.  As has been said many time the best way to establish suitable tyre pressures is to weigh the vehicle in operational trim and ask the tyre manufacturer for their recommendation. 

MichaelT replied on 16/12/2020 15:09

Posted on 16/12/2020 15:09

Your dealer may change the settings for you when you take it in for service our Fiat dealer did however they may also charge some labour for it depending on how friendly they are.  Even if you do get them changed it will not stop them inflating to what is on the sticker in the door frame when thy service itsmile

Phishing replied on 17/12/2020 22:33

Posted on 16/12/2020 09:12 by LLM

I think the point is that the manufacturer sets the pressure for the base vehicle covering the maximum that it is designed to carry.  It cannot take in to account the unknown changes that are made to that vehicle when it is converted to something else, such as a motorhome.  As has been said many time the best way to establish suitable tyre pressures is to weigh the vehicle in operational trim and ask the tyre manufacturer for their recommendation. 

Posted on 17/12/2020 22:33

They will tell you to look at the legally required sticker and use that information. They are not allowed to give you other information regardless of the use of the vehicle. 

MT, yes they will blow it up to the value on the sticker because they are legally obliged to do so.

I totally agree that the use of weight and pressure is a perfectly valid way to go about this but the vehicle is validated and homologated with the tyre pressure as per the sticker and you are obliged to maintain this.

There are tables that allow you to work out the best pressures based on the weight but this is just not a practical option. Quite frankly most people just dont give a damn, dont check their tyres, and would not take the time to work it out. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook