Light on dashboard, Fiat Ducato

rowets replied on 28/07/2021 17:42

Posted on 28/07/2021 17:42

Hi all,

We have a Fiat Ducato 2.3 based Knaus motorhome, 2019 model. A light has suddenly appeared on the dashboard and I'm unsure about what it is, hoping someone may be able to help?

It's in the central cluster of symbols, where the odometer, trip info, clock, outside temp etc are.  It's a symbol of an oil can with an exclamation mark and a squiggly line underneath. It's not a red or amber warning light, I've checked the oil and it's absolutely fine, but this light is now permanently on.  Only thing I can think of is it may be some sort of service reminder?  Even though first service isn't due for another 4 months or 15,000'ish miles!  I've attached a pic, hope it's clear enough, it's the symbol in the bottom left, where the 'Shift' gear normally displays.

Many thanks,

Tim Rowe

Tinwheeler replied on 28/07/2021 17:51

Posted on 28/07/2021 17:51

Check your Fiat handbook. The warning symbols are shown in there. 

It’s probably the 2 year service reminder based on the length of time since your Fiat was manufactured. Don’t ignore it but contact your Fiat Professional garage.

SeasideBill replied on 28/07/2021 19:43

Posted on 28/07/2021 19:43

The sensor on the Ducato indicating oil level is notoriously prone to failure. Get the Fiat dealer to run a diagnostic check and if it’s faulty get it done asap under warranty as it’s an expensive fix - cheap part, but big labour costs. 

brue replied on 29/07/2021 11:04

Posted on 29/07/2021 11:04

Just out of interest our (Mercedes) oil light comes on when it's been overfilled at a service etc. We've stopped worrying about it now, it could be something simple like this but check it out first.

rowets replied on 30/07/2021 11:41

Posted on 28/07/2021 17:51 by Tinwheeler

Check your Fiat handbook. The warning symbols are shown in there. 

It’s probably the 2 year service reminder based on the length of time since your Fiat was manufactured. Don’t ignore it but contact your Fiat Professional garage.

Posted on 30/07/2021 11:41

Hi all,

Thanks to Tinwheeler, already done that can't find it anywhere.  And SeasideBill and Brue, it's definitely not the oil warning light, that's a red warning symbol lower down on the dash.

I'm going with my original theory that it's to do with some sort of service due indicator, even though it isn't due yet, but who knows when that might have been originally set?

Thanks for your replies.

Best wishes.

JVB66 replied on 30/07/2021 12:24

Posted on 30/07/2021 11:41 by rowets

Hi all,

Thanks to Tinwheeler, already done that can't find it anywhere.  And SeasideBill and Brue, it's definitely not the oil warning light, that's a red warning symbol lower down on the dash.

I'm going with my original theory that it's to do with some sort of service due indicator, even though it isn't due yet, but who knows when that might have been originally set?

Thanks for your replies.

Best wishes.

Posted on 30/07/2021 12:24

The service due on most vehicles is a spanner logo it was on our boxer , same stable

Tinwheeler replied on 30/07/2021 13:21

Posted on 30/07/2021 11:41 by rowets

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

Best wishes.

Posted on 30/07/2021 13:21

You could be right as your van is 2 years old and the first service must be imminent. However, there’s a good chance it's a warning of low oil pressure or something equally important and you may find the engine will go into limp mode if you ignore it. I’d get it checked by your Fiat garage or, if you can’t get there, call Fiat Camper Assist who will send out an RAC man with a diagnostic kit.

Ne10 replied on 30/07/2021 13:31

Posted on 30/07/2021 13:31

I believe this particular symbol depicts an engine oil warning light sensor malfunction.   Try Googling Ducato dash panel warning lights for confirmation (or otherwise).

SeasideBill replied on 30/07/2021 14:32

Posted on 30/07/2021 14:32

It’s not a service indicator. See page 70 of the Ducato Handbook 2019-07 (download available) and you’ll see your warning light listed. It’s the usual suspect - ENGINE OIL LEVEL WARNING LIGHT SENSOR FAILURE. Sometimes exactly the same problem triggers the amber generic warning light instead. I know more people than I should with the exact same problem. Insist on replacements under warranty and keep your finger crossed the replacement is more reliable. The ECU fault log will confirm the sensor is at fault. Unfortunately a lot of stuff needs to be dismantled to replace sensor, so expensive fix! You won’t go into limp mode.

Laughing Gravy replied on 02/11/2021 12:05

Posted on 02/11/2021 12:05

Hi Tim

Did you get any progress on this? My 2019 150 engine has done the same, now out of warranty, just took to Fiat and they want £860 to replace the sensor. I will try and get Fiat to do as a gesture of goodwill as the fault has occurred intermittently, the van is 3 month out of warranty and only done 8K miles due to covid. Your experience with this fault would be interesting to note. Thanks 

SeasideBill replied on 02/11/2021 12:29

Posted on 02/11/2021 12:05 by Laughing Gravy

Hi Tim

Did you get any progress on this? My 2019 150 engine has done the same, now out of warranty, just took to Fiat and they want £860 to replace the sensor. I will try and get Fiat to do as a gesture of goodwill as the fault has occurred intermittently, the van is 3 month out of warranty and only done 8K miles due to covid. Your experience with this fault would be interesting to note. Thanks 

Posted on 02/11/2021 12:29

This fault is common, Fiat have replaced some sensors under warranty but it’s down to goodwill if that doesn’t apply.  I think you could argue that Covid ‘down time’ is a factor here and your warranty should therefore be extended as the fault would otherwise have been apparent in normal use. Good luck.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook