Leisure battery

Gingerbeard replied on 27/08/2020 15:59

Posted on 27/08/2020 15:59

Recently bought a six year old, low mileage motor home. On the EC400 PSU I have the charge switch permanently on, as advised. After a run, the control panel shows the leisure battery at about 13v. After about 20mins the level shows 10v with a red light indicator and the PSU shows 10.7v sometimes down to 10.5v.  Am I looking at a battery that is well past its prime. AND is this something the seller should have checked and replaced. Are they liable for a replacement if it is unserviceable.  As the mileage is low ie. below 20,000, I suspect little use has been made of the vehicle and therefore, the battery may well be the original. 

Phishing replied on 27/08/2020 21:43

Posted on 27/08/2020 21:43

From what you say the battery is old and tired. If it is the original it is past its normal working life. 

Disconnect the battery and measure the voltage after you have charged it, it should be 12.5 to 13v ish.

Connect it up and use some power, switch the habitation lights fan or anything else for 15 min that has a load. Disconnect and measure the battery. Disconnect and measure the battery again, if it has dropped below 12v then its finished.

Alternatively borrow a battery tester this will confirm. 

If you bought it from a dealer then I would certainly complain.

Also, at 3k miles a year from new the vehicle battery needs a load test as well as it has had a hard life.

derekcyril replied on 28/08/2020 08:22

Posted on 28/08/2020 08:22

Leisure batteries need to keep at least 50 percent charge .I suggest its been left and not maintained . A lot of people put van away for winter , come spring cant understand why battery wont hold charge

DavidKlyne replied on 28/08/2020 10:15

Posted on 28/08/2020 10:15

I would just buy a new battery because it sounds as if its too far gone. My choice would be a sealed marine battery. My one year old motorhome has a Banner battery but it seems to require regular topping up which can be forgotten.

David

Gingerbeard replied on 28/08/2020 21:37

Posted on 28/08/2020 21:37

Thanks for replies. I'll get it checked at my local motorhome garage, get them to say its  no use and then contact the dealer. It was checked ok on the pre sales list so they should be liable for a replacement. 

robj7744 replied on 29/08/2020 10:37

Posted on 29/08/2020 10:37

I have a CTEK battery charger which has a recondition mode which will recover deeply discharged batteries. I have used it many times on old batteries, and it will restore them, not quite as good as brand new, but certainly to make them usable again. The model I have is very old and no longer current. The equivalent model now is MXS 7.0 UK. See https://www.ctek.com/uk/products/car/mxs-7-0-uk 

However, these are expensive. You sometimes see them much cheaper, but they will be copies, so beware of any deal that looks too good to be true.

CTEK are not the only company making advanced battery chargers. If you search for "battery reconditioner desulfator" you will find plenty of other options.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook