Leaking washroom tap

plunky57 replied on 06/09/2018 09:40

Posted on 06/09/2018 09:40

The tap in the washroom of our Elddis Autoquest is leaking.  The trouble is it is set in a sealed vanity unit and we can’t see how you can access it without removing the unit.  Does anyone have any experience of doing such a repair?  

Bakers2 replied on 06/09/2018 10:00

Posted on 06/09/2018 10:00

Earlier this year my OH replaced the tap in our vanity unit in a Swift suntor. Access was from the vanity unit, in the small bathroom, fiddly but doable.  He has also replace the kitchen sink tap too a few years ago, that involved removing the sink unit 😲 and resulting and resealing. We purchased the sink tap from eBay,  it was easy to see exactly what we wanted! But the bathroom tap is joint one which has shower hose to pull up through so not as simple,  it was the hose that leaked rather than the tap, but couldn't just replace hose 😉, so we used our local,  only,  caravan supplies. Was about £120 I believe but was right one. It was akward and fiddly because of the confinement of the unit and the bathroom but straightforward. If that makes any sense 😂

Dave Nicholson replied on 06/09/2018 14:47

Posted on 06/09/2018 14:47

I replaced the tap and shower attachment in the washroom of our previous motorhome (an Adria).

Rather than remove the whole unit, that included the rear wall of the shower cubicle, I carefully drilled a 75mm hole in the wall panel ajascent to the tap unit (using a hole saw) and was able to remove the tap assembly together with its connection tails through the hole. In the event, it was a failed “O” ring on the connection tails to the tap but I replaced the whole assembly with a new one. If you take your time deciding where to cut the access hole, bearing in mind that it needs to be as unobtrusive as possible but still give you access to the tap and connections, then a repair can be made without removing the panel wall. The section of wall that is removed can be replaced using a backing plate and the small gaps around the perimeter of the plate and the small central hole can be filled with a variety of waterproof sealers or fillers. It’s not ideal but it removes the risk of breaking the cubicle wall panel ( they are sealed to be watertight) and will also give you access in the (hopefully) unlikely event that the problem returns.

plunky57 replied on 06/09/2018 18:08

Posted on 06/09/2018 18:08

Thanks.  I think we will have to try and gain access by making a hole in the appropriate place.  In our case this is in the wardrobe so won’t be too intrusive.  Certainly feels better than trying to take the bathroom apart. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook