Keeping mice out

outinthesticks replied on 17/01/2022 11:44

Posted on 17/01/2022 11:44

Recently noticed signs of a mouse in the storage compartment of our motorhome. I used a trap to catch it, but then our dealer found that the reason the toilet flush had stopped working was that a mouse (presumably the same one) had chewed through a cable in the toilet cassette compartment. £75 to fix. Ouch! I've now put traps in various locations in the MH.

I should add the van is parked outside our home in the middle of countryside and we do get mice in the garden shed etc. 

Has anyone else experienced this problem and any tips on how to deal with it?

Thanks.

brue replied on 17/01/2022 12:09

Posted on 17/01/2022 12:09

This year we've had field mice in the roof of our home and we used humane traps, re-setting them every day and taking the culprits elsewhere. The only thing we've discovered is that mice leave a scent trail which encourages others to follow, we were advised to spray approach routes with disinfectant. It might help if you can move the van and clean the area with a spray and also spray and block surface routes into the van?

Sorry you've had so much trouble it might have been one of those years when mice decide to find alternative accomodation! 

replied on 17/01/2022 13:11

Posted on 17/01/2022 13:11

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

vbfg replied on 17/01/2022 14:59

Posted on 17/01/2022 14:59

There is a sonic repeller available called the Big Cheese which is supposed to get rid of mice and rats using a high pitched ultrasound.  You can buy them from toolstation for £8.00 each.  They have mixed reviews as some say they work and some say they don't but for £8.00 they are worth a try!

outinthesticks replied on 25/01/2022 11:20

Posted on 25/01/2022 11:20

Thanks for all these helpful replies. An update: I discovered the mice has been nesting in a duvet we'd foolishly left in the van. Cleared it all out, disinfected all surfaces and placed several traps. Caught another mouse yesterday, nothing today. I'm spending a couple of nights in it tomorrow so hopefully that will shake out any left. Then I'll try the sonic repeller. I strongly suspect it was the cold snap a couple of weeks ago than prompted the mice to move in. 

ABM replied on 25/01/2022 21:59

Posted on 25/01/2022 21:59

If you are still suffering then I can only suggest you contact Goldie 146  and see if she can / will hire out a couple or six of their farm cats !!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook