Is this delamination?

robinofstackpole replied on 29/06/2020 09:29

Posted on 29/06/2020 09:29

Good morning All, I've cleared out the boot in my 2019 Bailey 794 and noticed bubbles / lifting on the surface. As a newbie to all this, only had her a year and never had motorhome or caravan before, is this delamination, or is it just a covering stuck down that has lifted in the heat? 

peedee replied on 29/06/2020 09:42

Posted on 29/06/2020 09:42

I have never see delaminated floor, touch wood, but it looks more like wrinkles in the floor covering to me.

peedee

JVB66 replied on 29/06/2020 09:48

Posted on 29/06/2020 09:48

I agree with PD,if it is easy to push down, i dought it to be delamination

get your dealer to look rather than invalidate warranty by attempting your own repair

Kerry Watkins replied on 29/06/2020 09:52

Posted on 29/06/2020 09:52

It is difficult to tell without a physical examination. IMHO I would contact the dealer,  if you have a guarantee and register the defect and obviously keep records of all communications. If it is either cause it will have to be rectified.

robinofstackpole replied on 29/06/2020 10:41

Posted on 29/06/2020 10:41

Thanks for your replies. I sent the image to my retailer last week, still waiting for a response. I thought the combined wisdom of years on this forum would have a reasonable idea.

The surface seems to be plastic and has come up in a number of places in the boot, a bit like the bubbles you used to get when not putting clear "sticky backed plastic" onto maps properly. 

Metheven replied on 29/06/2020 10:55

Posted on 29/06/2020 10:55

It doesn't look like the floor has delaminated, more likely the covering expansion rate is different from its base material that it was adhered to, and has now lost its adhesion. 

DavidKlyne replied on 29/06/2020 14:46

Posted on 29/06/2020 14:46

Looking at the metal washer things in the floor,where you can see a slight gap around the hole,  would suggest that it is a separate covering which has rucked up in the garage. If that is the case I imagine there is nothing to worry about. Be interesting to hear what the dealer says. 

David

TonyIshUK replied on 04/07/2020 17:44

Posted on 04/07/2020 17:44

If the covering can be moved slightly from side to side , the floor adhesive may be coming unstuck.  Delaminating is more of an up and down movement as there is an area of disconnect from the structure. Usually foam and ply..

ether way it's a trip to the dealer if it's within warranty.

If not,  it's a heat gun and roller to re stick the floor, or a injection of glue to fix the delaminating.

rgds

only to add, that even in our recent heat, there should be no loss of adhesion, unless the covering is a purposeful loose fit.  Many mhomes have very similar flooring, many years old, many hot summers , with no signs of heat damage.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook