Is 35 MPG at 56 MPH OK? (2.0 litre euro 6 engine)

MrsKiteman replied on 22/01/2019 12:38

Posted on 22/01/2019 12:38

Afternoon everyone. As the title suggests really........... We are just getting used to our new 3500kg motorhome.....single axle at the rear It is based on the new ford 2.0 Ecoblue euro 6 engine (130 bhp) It currently has 9000 miles on the clock. We recently did a trip up to scotland where for 99% of the time we stuck religiously at 56mph. There was no wind and the road was dry. Is an average of 35MPG over the course of 450 miles acceptable. I have the tyres pumped up to 55 PSI front and 65 PSI rear (IF I should be expecting more then as it is still under warranty then I will be able to take it back to the dealer to get them to investigate) Thanks in advance

dunelm replied on 22/01/2019 12:56

Posted on 22/01/2019 12:56

I am glad that you are enjoying using your van and I don't think you have anything to be concerned  about.

I think that your mpg sounds perfectly acceptable although you do not say what type of van you have (eg van conversion, high top, coachbuilt with overcab pod, A class) all of which can have an effect on mpg. 

I don't think that a dealer would be interested as mpg depends on many factors such as conditions, hills, driving style.

Be happy that you got what seems to be good mpg in a vehicle which is also your accommodation. 

Continue to enjoy using it.

cyberyacht replied on 22/01/2019 13:01

Posted on 22/01/2019 13:01

I've got a 3500Kg Euro 5 150BHP and rarely get 35mpg. I can usually muster 32mpg generally at those sort of cruising speeds.

Tinwheeler replied on 22/01/2019 13:07

Posted on 22/01/2019 13:07

Looks like the other thread has gone, Husky.

MrsK, don’t forget you're driving a pretty near fully laden commercial vehicle. 35mpg sounds good to me. It depends so much on how you drive and the terrain you drive over. For instance, you’ll get more to the gallon in East Anglia than you will in the Westcountry.

I doubt we get 35 out of our Boxer but we don’t stick to 56mph as we prefer to eat up the motorway miles as fast as we legally can.

DavidKlyne replied on 22/01/2019 13:19

Posted on 22/01/2019 13:19

The average for our 3500kgs Peugeot based motorhome over the last six years has been 25 mpg so I think 35 mpg is pretty good. I will be interested to see if our new motorhome which is smaller and has the 160 hp Peugeot euro 6 engine gives us any better economy. I do always have to remind myself that even at an average of 25mpg it is still better than I was getting with my last tow car!

David

MrsKiteman replied on 22/01/2019 13:42

Posted on 22/01/2019 13:42

Sorry Huskydog, as well as getting used to motorhoming we are also getting used to Foruming 

Please accept my apologies.

As for the motorhome it is a coachbuilt low profile one.

If the consensus of the group is 35MPG whilst bimbling down the motorway is OK, then I will stop fretting trying to get it up to what ford said it would do. (We try and keep is at 1500 RPM as this is where the torque curve maxes out ................ apparently) 

And yes, I have also noticed that driving around the lake district in 3rd and 4th gear did nothing for our bank balance.

Still the view and the pubs were nice smile

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook