Insurance for MH newbies

SiLo replied on 10/03/2022 19:51

Posted on 10/03/2022 19:51

Hi Everyone,

We're very excited to be collecting our 'new to us' MH in two weeks. One of the main tasks for us to do before then is to arrange for some MH insurance. Our plans are to spend a year travelling round Europe from July 22. We're both late 40's with no claims bonus for MH's. 

Can anyone recommend an insurance company which are helpful to deal with and don't cost over £1000? We have heard/read good things about CMC insurance but the cost is prohibitively expensive. Is it reasonable to expect a cost of £700 plus for a MH valued at 46K driven through Europe with expected mileage in the region of 15K?

Thanks for listening and hope to meet some of you when we book our first camping trip next month.

Cheers

Simon

eribaMotters replied on 10/03/2022 20:04

Posted on 10/03/2022 20:04

It really is a case of shopping around as all of our circumstances differ. I know for us Lifesure have provided good quotes for a caravan at about 1/2 the cost of the C&MC.

One thing to consider is your ncd will probably start from scratch as you already use it on your car. With this in mind it may be an idea to look at multi vehicle policies. 

Adrian Flux have traditionally been very good on insuring any vehicle that is not a normal car policy.

Colin

eurortraveller replied on 10/03/2022 20:45

Posted on 10/03/2022 20:45

Simon, Will you be applying for long stay visas for your European year as well as insurance covering that length of time? Few insurances will cover a full year overseas,  but without  a long stay visa you have a  limit of  90 days in 180 days in the Schengen area.

Tinwheeler replied on 10/03/2022 20:46

Posted on 10/03/2022 20:46

I think insurance companies will likely view a 12 month trip abroad as a huge risk and I’d expect the premium to be hefty. Just how hefty remains to be seen.

SiLo replied on 11/03/2022 07:55

Posted on 11/03/2022 07:55

Morning Guys,

Thanks for getting back. 

Some useful points raised -  I hadn't thought of a multi vehicle policy, from the perspective of NCD. However, we will be looking to sell the house/car etc before we go.

Our intention is to travel through Europe (both Shengen and non-Shengen areas) 90 days in/90 days out sort of thing. No long stay visa's.

We will keep looking and make a point of trying Comfort Insurance and LifeSure.

Cheers again and have a great day :-)

Simon

eurortraveller replied on 11/03/2022 08:56

Posted on 11/03/2022 08:56

Simon,  you say you will sell your house before you set off but Comfort insurance says that the policy holder must retain a permanent UK address - and spells out what they mean by that. 

SiLo replied on 11/03/2022 13:54

Posted on 11/03/2022 13:54

So I wonder if that could be a c/o address? Yes, we found out that Comfort does require you to have a UK address.

I wonder how the guys who live permanently in their vans get around this? You'd assume they don't have a UK address.

eurortraveller replied on 11/03/2022 17:24

Posted on 11/03/2022 13:54 by SiLo

So I wonder if that could be a c/o address? Yes, we found out that Comfort does require you to have a UK address.

I wonder how the guys who live permanently in their vans get around this? You'd assume they don't have a UK address.

Posted on 11/03/2022 17:24

Simon  I think those are questions you need to ask the Comfort insurance company - whether they will accept a friend’s or family member’s address,  and whether you have to change your driving licence, vehicle registration and other documents to that address.

And at the same it would be wise to tell them where you intend to go for your time outside the Schengen area and ask them to confirm that they will provide comprehensive cover for those countries, not merely third party cover.

Good luck.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook