Hot water

Youngbunch replied on 04/02/2018 13:27

Posted on 04/02/2018 13:27

autotrail 2013 and looking for some pointers

we are mostly on hookup when away and heat the water up straightaway. However, every so often (can vary from 5 mins to 30 min) the pump kicks in for 5 seconds. What I have noticed is an overflow drip of hot water outside under the water heater.  So I am thinking that the hot water is overflowing needing the pump to top up the tank

This is ok through the day but not great when trying to sleep at night !

Any suggestions what I should investigate ?

KeithandMargaret replied on 04/02/2018 14:03

Posted on 04/02/2018 14:03

I haven't got an Autotrail but my MH did a similar thing a couple of years ago.

Check that there isn't a leak from any of your sink taps (there was with mine) with water running or seeping down the plastic pipes, and if there is it could be caused by frost damage, old age or just the clip holding the pipe has come loose.

Occasionally the tap itself leaks (they shouldn't but they do) and may need replacing – they aren't cheap.

The short burst of the pump could also be due to the rubber gasket either perishing (which will need replacing or hopefully just cleaning) but try tightening the holding screws which may be loose – see video of my pump (turn sound up)

If it is the water heater leaking it will probably need an expert to check it over but tighten any screws you can see and that may hopefully sort it out before taking it to the expert.

Of course, what I've written may be a load of rubbish and if it is I apologise.

Video - 

Justus2 replied on 04/02/2018 14:18

Posted on 04/02/2018 14:18

Our pump sometimes re pressurises the system during the day. Various caravans have also done so previously. We have always turned our water pump and our hot water off whilst out for the day and also whilst asleep as a precaution. Caravan water fittings are not always the most secure and can, if a joint fails completely, empty your entire tank into a bed locker.

young thomas replied on 04/02/2018 15:25

Posted on 04/02/2018 15:25

agree with JVB smile, as ypu can see the overflow dripping, its almost certainly the hot water drain valve washer..

.Either its not sitting flush due to a piece of grit/dirt, or its just knacked...

first thing, when system next drained, undo the tap/valve assembly, take inside, run under a warm tap with some nice fairy liquid and give the washer a real good clean, dry and replace, test system....

if it works....done, if not, a new valve but cheap and easy to replace.

Youngbunch replied on 04/02/2018 18:08

Posted on 04/02/2018 13:40 by JVB66

Could be the drain valve leaking, until sorted turn off pump at nightwink

Posted on 04/02/2018 18:08

This is the temporary solution as I’m a light sleeper and it was driving me mad.

its going into the dealer for an unrelated issue in a few weeks and has been added to list of issues to be checked/fixed as we have an extended warranty that I hope covers it

I have gone round and checked all screws 

peedee replied on 05/02/2018 08:13

Posted on 04/02/2018 13:40 by JVB66

Could be the drain valve leaking, until sorted turn off pump at nightwink

Posted on 05/02/2018 08:13

I agree, is it actually fully turned off? It maybe worth flicking it open for a few seconds and shutting it again?

peedee

Youngbunch replied on 18/02/2018 18:28

Posted on 18/02/2018 18:28

Been away 2 nights and not an issue. The water was drained off 2weeks ago so maybe just a ‘purge’ of the water pump has cured it.

will be using more over the coming months so will keep an eye (or ear) on it.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook