Hot water issue

replied on 11/01/2017 11:26

Posted on 11/01/2017 11:26

Autocruise Stardream.

If I turn the mixer taps to hot water nothing happens ie. no water comes out of the tap and the pump does not come on. If the cold tap is running and I turn the tap to hot, the water goes off and the pump goes off.

This has occurred since I drained the system down for the winter. I have bled the system as best possible to no avail. The heater fitted is a Truma Combi 4.

Can anyone help me with some advice on this problem please?

young thomas replied on 11/01/2017 12:22

Posted on 11/01/2017 12:22

sounds like the system would be similar to what we had on the Bolero (and on our current van) in that it is a pressure based system where the water pump will run if the pressure in the pipe is low...tap open...and stop when pressure is high....tap closed....

this indicates that you have some sort of blockage in the hot system...

i assume all hot taps (sink, washroom, shower) are affected in the same way?

if so, the blockage is at or close to the tank.

perhaps the draining down caused an issue of some sort...

i would go through the draining process again and refill the hot tank from scratch, and try again.....

sorry, can thelp more than this...

DavidKlyne replied on 11/01/2017 16:55

Posted on 11/01/2017 16:55

Assuming that the manual drain valve has been closed it sounds like an air block. I often find that it takes far longer  for the hot side to get up and working compared to the cold. I would go along with BB's suggestion of dumping the water out of the system by using the manual flip drain valve and refilling the system but wait until the pump stops before operating the taps. You may well still get a lot of hissing and spitting from the hot tap until you get the air out of the system. Alternate between hot and cold and hopefully the hot side should start working normally. In such circumstances, once the problem seems to be corrected that the water can take a long time to heat up on electrics as a secondary issue. If that happens try it on gas and you should be OK.

David

young thomas replied on 11/01/2017 19:00

Posted on 11/01/2017 19:00

If there were an air lock or the hot water tank were drained, the water pump would still run as it does when draining.

the only time the pump stops is when the system is fully pressurised, hence my suspicion of a blockage 

replied on 13/01/2017 20:43

Posted on 13/01/2017 20:43

Thanks all for your advice/information. Have tried a number of ways to get the water through but no luck. Have a few things left to try though.  

young thomas replied on 14/01/2017 08:01

Posted on 14/01/2017 08:01

agree with David, when venting the system after a draindown, you will/should be getting lots of spluttering.

also, did you hear the hot water boiler filling as you put water in... with the pump on, this is the first thing that will happen as cold water from the fresh tank is drawn into the combi boiler.

antirampman replied on 14/01/2017 10:02

Posted on 14/01/2017 10:02

Check that the non return valve in the supply from pump to water heater is not stuck closed. also some vans have an isolator valve in the hot water supply so that you can use the cold water system without filling the boiler, check this is not closed if fitted.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook