Heating your MH on the move

fatbelly replied on 04/12/2016 17:51

Posted on 04/12/2016 17:51

Hi our 1st MH gets delivered in late winter and it has Alde wet central heating. Can we have the heating on in the living accommodation as we travel so its warm when we get to site? Or does the heating not take long to warm the accommodation so we can just turn it on when we get to site. To help with your answer our MH will be brand new

Quasar524 replied on 04/12/2016 18:42

Posted on 04/12/2016 18:42

If the Alde heating runs on gas then for safety reasons it would be a no no to have a gas appliance running whilst travelling.  Also, if it needs 12v power to run,and I assume it's a pumped system, the domestic 12v supply usually shuts down when the engine is running.  I can't answer for how quickly it would heat the interior up, but bear in mind that the cab heating will warm the living area up so it won't be cold like the interior of a caravan would when you arrive on site.

Hallsontour replied on 04/12/2016 19:02

Posted on 04/12/2016 19:02

I can't say for the Alde heating as we haven't got it but I can tell you that our motorhome is never that cold when we arrive on site. We have the cab heating on whilst driving and if it's really cold outside 10 mins before I arrive on site I whack it up on full to really blast the heat in. Once you've parked up then just put your other heating on. This method has worked for us over the years. Enjoy your new van!!

Tammygirl replied on 04/12/2016 19:20

Posted on 04/12/2016 19:20

We don't have Alde so can't say anything about that, we have Truma Combi blow air heating. When we travel in the cold weather we have the cab heating on and as said above the habitation area is usually quite warm once we stop. Once the electrics are plugged in we switch the heating on in the habitation side, if its really cold we can set it to gas and electric to boost the heat, you can do the same with Alde (i do know that bit) a fair few people carry small fan heaters to give it a warm through and as a back up just incase. As to having gas on while travelling it depends on the system you have some are safe to do so. Depending on the van you are getting some also have a heat exchanger which I believes you can use the residual heat from the engine to boost the heat in the habitation and vice versa.

InaD replied on 04/12/2016 19:21

Posted on 04/12/2016 19:21

We don't have the Alde system, so don't know whether that's any different but we travel all year round, and when we arrive on site, the interior has never been that cold, due to having the cab heating on whilst travelling.  Once parked up, when the heating is switched on, it's warm in no time.

One thing we've found is that heating (and fridge) is much more efficient on gas than it is on EHU.

InaD replied on 04/12/2016 19:28

Posted on 04/12/2016 19:28

Our MH's gas system is supposed to be able to run whilst travelling, but it's not something we've ever done.  

QFour replied on 04/12/2016 19:58

Posted on 04/12/2016 19:58

The Alde heating works really welll when on the move. You do need to make sure you have the correct gas tails fitted with the blow out device. This is a little green button on the gas pipe. If you do have an accident and a hose gets damaged then they switch the gas off. The Swift we had would not work as you needed the control panel on for the heating to work and as far as Swift are concerned traveling with the 12v electrics on in the back is not the done thing Worried .. However the Laika is much more user friendly and also better insulated with its double floor. It lets you have the ALDE heating on while on the move and also has a heat exchanger that users the heat from the engine as well. So we arrive toastie warm Happy .. Using the heating like this also cuts down on the horrible COLD Draft you get between the seats.

Reevsie replied on 04/12/2016 20:36

Posted on 04/12/2016 20:36

We have a heat exchanger fitted to our MH. Fitted at the factory.  Some MH have them fitted ads standard and some done. This way you done need the gas switched on whilst travelling.  

replied on 04/12/2016 20:37

Posted on 04/12/2016 20:37

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

fatbelly replied on 04/12/2016 21:11

Posted on 04/12/2016 21:11

Thanks to everyone for the replies you've all been a great help. I am a member of a number of internet forums for my various hobbies  and I must say this is one of the very best. Whenever I ask a question within a matter of a few hours I get a number of replies which are all really helpful.

Thank You

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook