Heating thermostat placement

Mr Bounty replied on 12/04/2023 16:25

Posted on 12/04/2023 16:25

Hi all,

I have a 2004 Burstner van. The living space heater works really well and heats the van to a lovely warm temperature, even in sub zero conditions. The problem is that it doesn’t want to switch on. The temperature sensor is placed on the control panel above the habitation door, which is next to wardrobe which houses the hot water tank. Heat from the warm wardrobe is trapped above the door where the temperature sensor lives, and so even with the heating cranked all the way up, it doesn’t kick in because it’s 27’C where the sensor is. A frozen bag of peas pressed against the sensor for a few minutes does the trick for a half hour, but then it goes off and stays off again. With the heating set to max. The habitation area would need to drop to around 16’C before it switches on (unless you use the frozen peas trick). I know that with more modern controls you can calibrate the system to compensate for this issue, but mine pre-dates this facility. I’m wondering if anyone has fixed such an issue and how it was done. All input is appreciated.

Bakers2 replied on 13/04/2023 07:39

Posted on 13/04/2023 07:39

Just posted on your joining thread and now I've now seen this. 

I'm sorry I can't help but what an odd place to put it! Really silly question could you,or could you, have it repositioned?

I love the frozen pea cure, necessity being the mother of invention.

KjellNN replied on 13/04/2023 09:41

Posted on 13/04/2023 09:41

You do not say what heating system you have, but is a remote thermostat available?

We have the Alde system and fitted a remote thermostat for a similar reason, ours just plugged into a connection point on the control panel.

Navigateur replied on 13/04/2023 10:52

Posted on 13/04/2023 10:52

You may actually be lucky.  The sensor in my Bailey is at floor level and air temperature up at roof can be well above 25 degrees before the sensor decides to switch off.  Maybe this is why the heating has a manual switch?  

replied on 13/04/2023 11:06

Posted on 12/04/2023 16:25 by Mr Bounty

Hi all,

I have a 2004 Burstner van. The living space heater works really well and heats the van to a lovely warm temperature, even in sub zero conditions. The problem is that it doesn’t want to switch on. The temperature sensor is placed on the control panel above the habitation door, which is next to wardrobe which houses the hot water tank. Heat from the warm wardrobe is trapped above the door where the temperature sensor lives, and so even with the heating cranked all the way up, it doesn’t kick in because it’s 27’C where the sensor is. A frozen bag of peas pressed against the sensor for a few minutes does the trick for a half hour, but then it goes off and stays off again. With the heating set to max. The habitation area would need to drop to around 16’C before it switches on (unless you use the frozen peas trick). I know that with more modern controls you can calibrate the system to compensate for this issue, but mine pre-dates this facility. I’m wondering if anyone has fixed such an issue and how it was done. All input is appreciated.

Posted on 13/04/2023 11:06

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Mr Bounty replied on 13/04/2023 16:39

Posted on 13/04/2023 16:39

Thanks for the feedback. I think the heater system is an ancient (2004) Truma system. There’s no. “Fireplace” , just a hot water tank and blown air. As far as I know there is no manual override; it has to go through the thermostat. It is an extremely odd place to put the sensor (and so is on the floor😂😂). I think that repositioning is going to be the option, but I’ll probably get a professional to do it rather than hoping to do a neat job of re-routing the wiring myself.

replied on 13/04/2023 16:57

Posted on 13/04/2023 16:39 by Mr Bounty

Thanks for the feedback. I think the heater system is an ancient (2004) Truma system. There’s no. “Fireplace” , just a hot water tank and blown air. As far as I know there is no manual override; it has to go through the thermostat. It is an extremely odd place to put the sensor (and so is on the floor😂😂). I think that repositioning is going to be the option, but I’ll probably get a professional to do it rather than hoping to do a neat job of re-routing the wiring myself.

Posted on 13/04/2023 16:57

replied on 14/04/2023 07:44

Posted on 13/04/2023 18:26 by Mr Bounty

DDM do you mean with a different grade of sensor? If they are a thing that would be fantastic.

Posted on 14/04/2023 07:44

Mr Bounty replied on 14/04/2023 12:50

Posted on 14/04/2023 12:50

I guess that’s worth a try; the sensors are cheap enough. Maybe the sensor is faulty. Thanks again for everyone’s feedback.👍

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook