Habitation security door lock and fitters

Wendylul replied on 05/09/2017 17:18

Posted on 05/09/2017 17:18

Hi,

Newbies here, and trying to secure the Suntor Avantguarde 400 with a Milenco high-security door lock. I bought this one as it's an inside and outside use lock, and the inside is very slim to take account of the sink furniture which is close to the door frame. In fact, we saw this exact lock on an exactly the same MoHo, which has sadly been sold so I can go and see how they did it. 

My issue is that because the sink furniture is so close to the door frame, I'd have to mount the actual lock so that it overhangs the outside trim. Not so far that it fouls the door, but enough so that i am left with two choices. 

1) cut the trim around the lock, as flush as i can.
2) pack the lock out a bit so it clears the trim when operated. 

I'm not a fan of cutting the trim, but i figure if i pack the lock out a bit then it give more room for a crowbar!

Does anyone have any advice or know people who would fit locks and/or give advice in teh London areas?

Many thanks

JVB66 replied on 05/09/2017 17:27

Posted on 05/09/2017 17:27

If you go on to Milenco website they make an additional fitment that allow the handle to be fitted that could overcome your "problem" we have a fiamma style handle on our c/van that has a similar fitting to overcome a similar lack of space,it uses the door frame for fitting

Wendylul replied on 06/09/2017 16:17

Posted on 06/09/2017 16:17

Hi JVB66,

Thank you. We specifically wanted an 'inside and outside' operatable lock so the Fiamma frame type wouldn't do the job sadly. I only went down this route as I've seen this exact lock on this exact MoHo, (pic attached) but now it's been sold I can't see how the lock was fitted!!! D'OH!

the lock we have is this.http://www.milenco.com/products/security/recreational-vehicle-door-locks/security-door-lock

Any ideas or people who I might be able to go and see about it would be most welcome.

Cheers 

EJB986 replied on 06/09/2017 16:49

Posted on 06/09/2017 16:49

Obviously various caravan dealers could help, however I would try one of the mobile engineers.

Ensure you confirm that they can do the job beforehand!

They are normally excellent at servicing caravans etc....I certainly use one for my MH.

PS. Do bear in mind that a thief seeing the extra door lock will simply place a knife between a window and the bodywork and slip the plastic catches.

Mobile engineers link. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook