Guarantees

dickydo replied on 05/10/2018 14:48

Posted on 05/10/2018 14:48

Had my Motorhome for two months now and have a question regarding the Guarantee given by the Dealer I bought it from

I was told that a full service would be given to the van plus a full habitation check would be carried out with a 3 month Guarantee

Now I know that the actual base vehicle, engine etc etc would automatically come with a 6 month mechanical Guarantee meaning that any faults during the first 6 months of ownership will be the responsibility of the Dealer

Does it not follow that the interior is covered by the same 6 month legislation?

Also what degree of damp is considered acceptable? The damp check just carried out is very good apart from readings of 12% over the cab.

Should this be rectified by the Dealer?

The van is an Elddis 105 2015  6k miles Peugeot

replied on 05/10/2018 14:53

Posted on 05/10/2018 14:53

A damp reading of 12% is normally fully acceptable. My usual readings in March are 17%. If it was 0% then the wood would be powder. 

Takethedogalong replied on 05/10/2018 15:10

Posted on 05/10/2018 15:10

I think it varies from dealer to dealer. We bought a much older MH than yours, 12 years old at time of purchase. Our small independent dealer was a delight to work with. We got six months cover on everything including habitation unit. He was happy to sell knowing everything had been fully checked, we were happy to buy and accept the six months warranty on what we had seen and tried out. Four years on, we have had few issues with either base vehicle or habitation, just a faulty Spanish fitted alarm system, and a broken spring which my OH replaced! Given the state of roads we have travelled, we considered this a consumable item!

Would have no hesitation from buying again from this sales person. He scours country looking for quality secondhand MHs, only certain makes and models. He spends time and effort making all ready decent examples look and work very good, gives good back up if required. All the big dealers do is offload anything they get in for trade with minimal effort, minimal spend and then offer poor back up and warranty. 

Takethedogalong replied on 05/10/2018 15:11

Posted on 05/10/2018 15:00 by huskydog

Wood is hygroscopic ,so there will always be a percentage of moisture in it 

Posted on 05/10/2018 15:11

Wow, I like that word HD, not heard it before!laughing

Tinwheeler replied on 05/10/2018 15:20

Posted on 05/10/2018 15:20

Yep, up to 15% is normally considered acceptable on a damp test reading.

Only your dealer can explain the terms of the warranty he's given, Dicky, but nothing he says can lessen your legal rights.

dickydo replied on 05/10/2018 16:04

Posted on 05/10/2018 16:04

Many thanks for replies 

I fully understand about hygroscopics but the nub of my query is a 3 month habitation guarantee legally binding or is it 6 months as for the base vehicle?

Thanks again 

Tinwheeler replied on 05/10/2018 16:16

Posted on 05/10/2018 16:16

It’s whatever the contract with your dealer stipulated. That’ll be the contract you agreed to when you bought it.

The legally binding bit is the Sale of Goods Act, or whatever it’s called now. Do some internet research and find the ins and outs of it all.

replied on 06/10/2018 10:26

Posted on 05/10/2018 15:00 by huskydog

Wood is hygroscopic ,so there will always be a percentage of moisture in it 

Posted on 06/10/2018 10:26

Thankfully it isn't deliquescent also wink

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook