Grey Water Wate Drainage

Mileo 294 replied on 27/06/2020 20:20

Posted on 27/06/2020 20:20

Our Benimar Mileo Motorhome is only 4 years old and hasnt been used very much but the water from the kitchen sink and the shower drain very slowly.  We checked the pipes under the motorhome and it appears to be ok from what we can see.  We have tried to use bicarbonate of soda with vinegar to clear any blockage but its not helping.  Are there any grey water waste pipe cleaners suitable for motorhome?  I assume the usual drain cleaners would be too harsh.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

DavidKlyne replied on 27/06/2020 23:49

Posted on 27/06/2020 23:49

Thetford have a tank cleaner which I have used by pouring down the sinks using hot water to send it on its way. It depends what is causing the slowness is it just the route of the pipes or are they gunged up? I certainly wouldn't use any household drain unblockers as I would imagine they would be too caustic and could damage the pipes. Perhaps try a solution of old fashioned soda crystals dissolved in hot water?

David

EmilysDad replied on 28/06/2020 00:11

Posted on 28/06/2020 00:11

I've used a little normal house hold drain cleaner in my caravan with no ill effects. I can't imagine there's much difference in the plastic used for domestic drains and caravan/MH drains.

Justus2 replied on 28/06/2020 06:49

Posted on 28/06/2020 06:49

Our sinks also drain fairly slowly, but its more to do with small bore pipes and horizontal runs than any blockage as it hasn't changed since the van was new. If we happen to wash up in a lay-by with a bit of a slope its a lot faster.

Regarding cleaners, Iv'e used MH tank cleaners, but now usually buy a couple of bottles of cheap general purpose floor cleaner from Aldi or wherever for about 99p as I find it just as good and is more to eliminate any smells than improve flow.

Takethedogalong replied on 28/06/2020 11:11

Posted on 28/06/2020 11:11

Prevention is easier than cure. When you wash up, use a washing up bowl, and don’t pour it down sink, take it to waste water point. It saves all that grease and bits going down pipes into tank, which is what blocks them and makes them smell. Only thing that goes down our pipes is shower and hand wash water. A lot easier to keep clean. We have used Rolla Cola in the past to clean tanks occasionally, cheap and effective if there’s no build up. Looks a bit gruesome coming out of waste pipe though😱😂

Mileo 294 replied on 28/06/2020 15:21

Posted on 28/06/2020 15:21

Thank you everyone, very helpful.  We seem to have cleared it now and it's running better.  I will be preventing any build up in future.

All your advice and tips was appreciated :)

no one replied on 29/06/2020 13:45

Posted on 29/06/2020 13:45

Glad your sorted, at the end of season I pour some Fenwicks waste pipe and tank cleaner diluted in hot water down all the drains into the waste tank, then go for a drive over the bumpiest road I can find to slosh it around the tank, leave it to work its magic overnight, then flush out with fresh. hopefully this will keep the pipework and tank free of soaps and grease.

I originally bought the cleaner as the bathroom sink was blocked, it cleared enough to use, but in the end i had to disconnect the drain pipe at the tank and flush out the remains of the previous owners mess surprised

Kasspa replied on 30/06/2020 12:22

Posted on 28/06/2020 15:21 by Mileo 294

Thank you everyone, very helpful.  We seem to have cleared it now and it's running better.  I will be preventing any build up in future.

All your advice and tips was appreciated :)

Posted on 30/06/2020 12:22

Hi Mileo 294,

I have a new 243 & noticed that the sink drained slowly on our driveway

It hasn't been used yet due to lockdown so would be interested in what cured/cleared the problem....

Cheers

TonyIshUK replied on 04/07/2020 17:34

Posted on 04/07/2020 17:34

Agree with the Cola method, does to the tubes the same as your teeth n tubes ;-)

Rgds

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook