Generator

Markmandy0625 replied on 03/09/2018 16:26

Posted on 03/09/2018 16:26

Hi All

we are new to motor homing and are looking to buy a 240 gemmy for the unit I am looking at a quite run 2.2kw invertor one that also gives me 12DC output too.

Any advice our unit is a CI Riviera181 6 Berth

Thankyou

Mark and Mandy

Tinwheeler replied on 03/09/2018 19:08

Posted on 03/09/2018 19:08

Second question: where do you intend to use it?

Most sites will not welcome use of a genny as they are noisy (even the quiet ones) and disturb other customers on site. 

If wild camping, it’s a possibility the genny will 'walk'. Wild camping brings a whole host of other issues, such as toilet cassette emptying, and needs careful thought. That issue could fill a thread on its own. 

Have you researched solar panels? They can give you sufficient power without noise and need no fuel. Very few vanners use gennies for the reasons given here.

Third question: have you sufficient payload to carry a genny?

viatorem replied on 03/09/2018 19:34

Posted on 03/09/2018 19:34

Good advice above, check out solar panels and inverters, probably cheaper and safer no flammable petrol to carry (and smell) plus there is no such thing as a quiet genny. I used to have one it was but ditched it in favour of solar as IMO they are amongst the most antisocial of devices to be used on a campsite. Acceptable of course if you are wild camping in north Sweden or need to run one for medical support.

Sorry to sound negative but you did ask.

Honda's are the only gennys to consider but you can get an awful lot of solar for the price of the 2,2Kw one!!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook