Gazebo

Millomite replied on 14/03/2021 13:35

Posted on 14/03/2021 13:35

While mulling over the advantages and disadvantages of trading in my caravan for a MH I considered the major detraction to be the difficulty of actually using the MH as a vehicle once you are at the site. To make this easier I looked at awnings which can be left to their own devices while you drive away. Apart from the cost, the main disadvantage seems to arise from the process of disengaging the awning from the MH in order to allow you to drive away. Because I own a pop up gazebo with four sides, which is quite sturdy and can be pegged down at all corners, I wonder if it is a better alternative? Any thoughts on this?

ABM replied on 14/03/2021 14:27

Posted on 14/03/2021 14:27

I used to have an awning which attached to the gutter of my campers, but that beastie had a tube-like  extension which not only had that connection  but allowed access/egress without my getting wet { Well Brian is renowned for being oh so very delicate  embarassed }. As years passed I got less willing to heave six acres of soggy canvas about, especially if moving from one site to another so now I just use a Wind Out awning ~~ Idleness comes with advancing years  wink I just call it increased 'Efficiency'

DavidKlyne replied on 14/03/2021 14:39

Posted on 14/03/2021 14:39

It might depend on whether the motorhome you buy has a windout canopy like a Fiamma F45. If it does I think I would suggest seeing how you get on with that first. When changing from a caravan to a motorhome you soon realise that it's better to cut down on what you carry around with you. We have a Fiamma and we rarely leave it out overnight as it is easy enough to stow away. We only use ours as a sunshade, or once in Austria as a rain shade!!!

David

Tinwheeler replied on 14/03/2021 14:51

Posted on 14/03/2021 14:51

I fail to understand why folk are under the illusion that it's difficult to use a MH for transport once on site. This will only be the case if you buy a large unwieldy van. Many people try to replicate their caravan layout and space in a MH and the result is often too big a MH which soon goes on sale again.

David is right about seeing how you get on before deciding what, if anything, to get. As for gazebos, you would need advice from the club and/or the warden on site. At one time the club would not accept them on site in view of the potential damage that could be caused if they took off in high winds but I think this was later rescinded.

Takethedogalong replied on 14/03/2021 16:39

Posted on 14/03/2021 16:39

Wind out awning is the way forward👍 Takes 30 seconds in or out, and travels with you wherever you go. 😁 If you do decide to use your MH as a static(🤷‍♀️) you can get sides.

SteveL replied on 14/03/2021 16:55

Posted on 14/03/2021 16:55

We have a wind out on ours. One of the main reasons we switched to a MH was ease of moving on. The other thing to consider is the weight, as it will be carried in the MH it’s part of your available payload. Not that wind outs are light, but if one of those is already fitted it will be in addition.

If you use CAMC sites, some of the drive aways seem to have problems complying with fire regs. As the MH is the living unit it must be parked to the peg, not where the car would go if you had a caravan. This often leaves insufficient space for the awning and connecting tunnel. I have noticed them onto the grass divides, which may result in being asked to move it.

Navigateur replied on 14/03/2021 16:59

Posted on 14/03/2021 16:59

It is the pegging down at the corners, as opposed to an awning which is pegged down also all along the bottom edges and attached to the caravan along the top, that is the problem.  Wind can get easily under a gazebo and lift it akin to a sail. Only four lightweight points of restraint just can not hold it.

Speak to anyone who has tried to put up an awning in a wind and one quickly finds how low the windspeed needs to be to make it pretty well impossible. Once it is up it is far more robust due to all the anchor points.

If your interest in awning/gazebo is storage of equipment, I have on a few occasions seen a motor caravan user leave behind a great pile of stuff during a day out. A tarpaulin, or even a gazebo canvas, tied down would make it less of an eyesore.

JVB66 replied on 14/03/2021 18:09

Posted on 14/03/2021 18:09

When we had M/Cs we also had a small storage/toilet  tent which if staying at a site a few days we put up at the rear of the L/V or d out awning as a place to keep "bits?"and the cycles

Millomite replied on 14/03/2021 18:27

Posted on 14/03/2021 16:59 by Navigateur

It is the pegging down at the corners, as opposed to an awning which is pegged down also all along the bottom edges and attached to the caravan along the top, that is the problem.  Wind can get easily under a gazebo and lift it akin to a sail. Only four lightweight points of restraint just can not hold it.

Speak to anyone who has tried to put up an awning in a wind and one quickly finds how low the windspeed needs to be to make it pretty well impossible. Once it is up it is far more robust due to all the anchor points.

If your interest in awning/gazebo is storage of equipment, I have on a few occasions seen a motor caravan user leave behind a great pile of stuff during a day out. A tarpaulin, or even a gazebo canvas, tied down would make it less of an eyesore.

Posted on 14/03/2021 18:27

Thank you for your reply. The gazebo has proper anchorage points at the top of each roof corner so could be adequately secured in the same way as the awning I use with my caravan.

The main reason I am considering a MH awning/ gazebo is for additional storage and we realised quite early on that we will not be taking as much stuff as we do in the caravan.. Being able to quickly move between sites isn't really an issue for us but being able to pop to the supermarket for example is.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook