Gas Locker smell.

fatbelly replied on 13/05/2017 12:40

Posted on 13/05/2017 12:40

Hi All,

The past few times that i've opened our gas locker I've smelt gas, not really bad but enough to notice it. Is this "normal" (we're newbies)

Thanks

Tinwheeler replied on 13/05/2017 12:56

Posted on 13/05/2017 12:56

No, FB, it is not normal. 

It seems to be either a bottle leaking or the pipework leaking. I suggest turning the bottle valves off tight and letting the gas clear with the locker door open. Then shut the door, with the bottles still turned off, and leave for a decent time. If the smell is still there when you next open the locker, it suggests a faulty bottle valve. If there is no smell, it suggests a leak somewhere in the pipework.

Your gas locker should be vented at the bottom to allow any leakage to escape.

Milothedog replied on 13/05/2017 13:47

Posted on 13/05/2017 13:47

Also buy some of this  Leak Detector spray  and check all connections that are visible. It may be just  a loose connection with any luck, If the problem still persist get someone to professionally check and test the system. 

Bakers2 replied on 13/05/2017 13:57

Posted on 13/05/2017 13:57

We had something similar a few years ago. It was the hose pipe which had gone ?porous? A new piece of hose pipe easily purchased and fitted. I know yours is a new motorhome but could it be like tyres? Manufactured but not used promptly. I believe there is a date on the hose so easily checked.

mickysf replied on 13/05/2017 14:52

Posted on 13/05/2017 12:56 by Tinwheeler

No, FB, it is not normal. 

It seems to be either a bottle leaking or the pipework leaking. I suggest turning the bottle valves off tight and letting the gas clear with the locker door open. Then shut the door, with the bottles still turned off, and leave for a decent time. If the smell is still there when you next open the locker, it suggests a faulty bottle valve. If there is no smell, it suggests a leak somewhere in the pipework.

Your gas locker should be vented at the bottom to allow any leakage to escape.

Posted on 13/05/2017 14:52

This is a good idea but would also suggest you purge the pipe work after turning the bottles off to ensure this is not under pressure. If not this may continue to leak out over a few days and thus prolonging that faint smell.. 

fatbelly replied on 13/05/2017 20:09

Posted on 13/05/2017 19:05 by KeithandMargaret

fatbelly (really?) - there shouldn't be any smell of gas and doing nothing won't improve it.

What gas system have you got?

Posted on 13/05/2017 20:09

HI Keith,

Our MH is brand new Bailey Autograph, not sure what Gas system.

Yes and fatbelly links to what i used to have. in the past 12 months I've lost 4 stone in weight

KeithandMargaret replied on 13/05/2017 20:40

Posted on 13/05/2017 20:40

Congratulations on the weight loss - SWMBO has joined Weight Watchers so both of us should be lighter when we go abroad next time.

Is the system refillable (Gaslow or similar)?

About 5 Videos posted on Youtube today of Dordogne Aires - been a busy day.

fatbelly replied on 13/05/2017 21:19

Posted on 13/05/2017 20:40 by KeithandMargaret

Congratulations on the weight loss - SWMBO has joined Weight Watchers so both of us should be lighter when we go abroad next time.

Is the system refillable (Gaslow or similar)?

About 5 Videos posted on Youtube today of Dordogne Aires - been a busy day.

Posted on 13/05/2017 21:19

We have a 6k propane Calor gas cylinder.

We'll watch your Vids tomorrow cool

KeithandMargaret replied on 14/05/2017 10:40

Posted on 14/05/2017 10:40

Could I suggest, if your funds run to it, that a larger and refillable Gas system might be a good option.

We started off with a single 6kg Calor bottle and found it didn't last very long

I added a refillable 11kg Gaslow bottle and when travelling on the Continent you can fill up very easily.

But, as far as I'm aware, you can't buy Calor bottles – you have to buy local bottles that may need different adaptors and can't be exchanged in the UK.

Eventually I added a second 11kg Gaslow bottle and now we are totally self sufficient when at home or abroad.

With a decent size Solar panel, two leisure batteries and a good gas system the World is quite literally your oyster.

In the four week holiday in April in France we didn't use, or need, EHU in the 28 days we were away and it made finding places to stay overnight very easy – no worries about hook up.

We run our fridge/freezer continually on gas, plenty of brew-ups, heating for washing us, showers and dishes (not at the same time), cooked almost every day with gas and the cost for the whole four weeks was around €20 – if you can get a months hook-up for less than that please let me know.

As you can see from my videos we stop sometimes stop in fairly remote places; not wild camping but not exactly in the thick of the action!

Everyone wants a different type of holiday but if you want to go to places that aren't over crowded then a good gas system certainly helps.

Enjoy your new MH and have great time.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook