Friends buying a Motorhome

Milothedog replied on 04/03/2018 09:57

Posted on 04/03/2018 09:57

We have 2 very dear friends who are very serious about buying their first motorhome and they have asked me to help them. My only experience of MH's is from the 80's when we had a 73 Mk1 Ford Transit  Ci wayfarer (Lift up roof)  my knowledge of today's models is very limited, so I would like to ask for your views and tips on the subject.

So they have been to the show last month, visited many dealers and narrowed their choice to 3 makes/models. Last night over dinner they told us they think they have found the one for them. Its a 1 year old Knaus Sun Ti 700 on Fiat chassis. with very, very low mileage. one problem is it's 150 miles  away so if going to view we need to be armed with as much info as possible.

A few questions then.

What extras will they need? I assume a EHU lead, Step ?, Leveling ramps. Gas bottles. Anything else?

Should it come with the thermal blinds for the cab windows?

Does having the habitation door on the O/S cause any issues in the UK (club sites?) 

Whats your experiences when doing the deal. Is the screen price set in stone or are some dealers open to negotiation.

All help greatly appreciated cool  

young thomas replied on 04/03/2018 10:42

Posted on 04/03/2018 10:42

Where are they based, Knaus have dealers in several places...

The van should come with gas bottle(s), ehu lead, shouldn't need a step (it will be a low frame model, perhaps with electric step)...

it will come with Remis cab blinds....

Door on 'wrong' side, no problems.....they might go to France and then everybody is 'wrong'.....wink

re sticker price......haggle, haggle, haggle. They should be able to get a decent chunk off and/or extras (where not already fitted) like.....windout awning, 2nd leisure battery, solar panel, refillable gas, roof mounted satellite system, inverter, bike rack, servicing deal, etc, etc....

i got all these thrown in on both my previous van, including all the fitting to my requirements....and had them all moved over to this one when we changed last January.....

its a slow time of the year for retailers, time to deal methinks.

MichaelT has a Knaus Sun Ti and I'm sure he can add much more model specific info.

Knaus are well styled, well designed and extremely well built....lovely van, which I looked at around the time we sold the Bolero.

KeithandMargaret replied on 04/03/2018 11:18

Posted on 04/03/2018 11:18

The first MH we bought was a Knaus, about six years ago, and it was a great vehicle to drive with many good points.

To buy a one year MH I would suggest it has a decent size Solar panel (100 +), refillable Gas Bottles, a second Leisure battery and a B2B device – all of which are an investment and can be transferred to another MH at a later date.

Then you can go quite literally anywhere in the World and be self sufficient and Campsite prices could be a thing of the past.

Yes, haggle but if the vehicle really ticks all the boxes then don't just walk away unless you are confident you can get better elsewhere.

Tinwheeler replied on 04/03/2018 11:33

Posted on 04/03/2018 11:33

Milo, look at the spec of a new model and expect all the standard equipment to be present in the secondhand one. If it’s not, that’s more haggle space. 

young thomas replied on 04/03/2018 13:48

Posted on 04/03/2018 13:48

Just one caveat (my favourite hobby horse).....weight...

this is a very sturdily built 7.5m van that's got a comprehensive spec and likely to have other optional extras....

i can't find the Knaus MIRO detail at the mo, but pretty well ALL of Southdowns items have been upplated to 3850kg, as has Michael's I think.

be aware that this upplating does NOT increase any axle weight allowances and this van has a large rear overhang, where all the main storage is...

so, it would be prudent to get the dealer to weigh the van, both axles (limits will be 1850kg front and 2000kg rear) to see where the land lies.

I would say most longer term touring couples should allow for close to 500kg for all their 'stuff'....you won't have your towcar to chuck it all in...

thenother issue with an upplated van is, do you have the license for this...I'm guessing yes....but just be very wary of that rear axle limit.

its the Achilles heel of many 'light chassied' vans .....and upplated weights of 3650/3850 count for nothing if the rear axle is overloaded.

anyway, you get the message.......good luck...

Milothedog replied on 04/03/2018 14:17

Posted on 04/03/2018 14:17

Thanks for all the info so far. much appreciated.

The vehicle in question has been upplated and has a claimed payload of 580kg. They do have the correct licenses and that won't be an issue for another 10 years.  They also like traveling light .

One question that would be good to know. can you fit normal size bikes (with the front wheel removed) in the garage? Not a deal breaker but they are very keen cyclist  with very expensive bikes and not too keen locking them on a rear mounted rack.

Thanks again to all who have contributed.

young thomas replied on 04/03/2018 16:53

Posted on 04/03/2018 14:17 by Milothedog

Thanks for all the info so far. much appreciated.

The vehicle in question has been upplated and has a claimed payload of 580kg. They do have the correct licenses and that won't be an issue for another 10 years.  They also like traveling light .

One question that would be good to know. can you fit normal size bikes (with the front wheel removed) in the garage? Not a deal breaker but they are very keen cyclist  with very expensive bikes and not too keen locking them on a rear mounted rack.

Thanks again to all who have contributed.

Posted on 04/03/2018 16:53

Milo, while the total payload might have been increased to 580kg (which sounds a lot) the likely issue is that (as this is a 3500kg chassis with a nominal 'paper' upgrade) the rear axle loading of 2000kg could still be vulnerable.

for example, my 6.4m, slim (2.12m wide) van has a rear axle loading of 1900kg (including full water, gas, fuel, passengers, clothes etc, etc, bikes, wine, tools, BBQ, table chairs, etc.....and a 'large wine allowance').

so, I have 100kg spare on a much lighter, slimmer, shorter van with a smaller overhang.....even if my van was upplated to 3650kg or even 3850kg I would still only have 100kg spare on that axle.

i strongly recommend weighing the van in a known state....(just passenger, water, gas is a quick 200kg gone....) and noting specifically the rear axle spare capacity.

remember, 100kg placed in a locker at the rear of the overhang will add significantly more than 100kg to the axle load.

i don't mean to labour the point but running a7.5m well built van with a large overhang is mightily difficult on the light chassis, especially if kitted out with a few extras packs, dealer accessories and kit for long term touring....

the upgrade to 3650/3850 is a great smokescreen that hides the real limitations of the light chassis....and is easy to be complacent with these headline 'payload' numbers...

good luck, but getting this wrong can mean buying a van that can't be used (as wanted) legally...

Milothedog replied on 04/03/2018 19:15

Posted on 04/03/2018 16:53 by young thomas

Milo, while the total payload might have been increased to 580kg (which sounds a lot) the likely issue is that (as this is a 3500kg chassis with a nominal 'paper' upgrade) the rear axle loading of 2000kg could still be vulnerable.

for example, my 6.4m, slim (2.12m wide) van has a rear axle loading of 1900kg (including full water, gas, fuel, passengers, clothes etc, etc, bikes, wine, tools, BBQ, table chairs, etc.....and a 'large wine allowance').

so, I have 100kg spare on a much lighter, slimmer, shorter van with a smaller overhang.....even if my van was upplated to 3650kg or even 3850kg I would still only have 100kg spare on that axle.

i strongly recommend weighing the van in a known state....(just passenger, water, gas is a quick 200kg gone....) and noting specifically the rear axle spare capacity.

remember, 100kg placed in a locker at the rear of the overhang will add significantly more than 100kg to the axle load.

i don't mean to labour the point but running a7.5m well built van with a large overhang is mightily difficult on the light chassis, especially if kitted out with a few extras packs, dealer accessories and kit for long term touring....

the upgrade to 3650/3850 is a great smokescreen that hides the real limitations of the light chassis....and is easy to be complacent with these headline 'payload' numbers...

good luck, but getting this wrong can mean buying a van that can't be used (as wanted) legally...

Posted on 04/03/2018 19:15

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to go into so much detail BB.

I will pass all this information on to our friends and If they do go and view this particular van and I go with them I'll be sure to get some clarification from the dealer about the axle weight/payload limits.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I assume the same principles apply as with a caravan when trying to balance it. i.e. if you have the low down locker space available you can just move the weight around to achieve the ideal loading's .

BrianJosie replied on 04/03/2018 20:06

Posted on 04/03/2018 20:06

Hi guys,it’s very difficult to get your first Motorhome right in every way ,I agree with what BB has said.Layout is very important,every one has different tastes and needs.We have had quite a few motorhomes over the last 22yrs including doing 10yrs in American RV,s.We are now awaiting delivery of our next Motorhome in week 1 of April and we think this time we have it right๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‚ It’s been a long journey ,so tell your friend to take their time and if it feels right for them then go for it. Good luck ,exciting times and enjoy your journey.

Brian & Jo

young thomas replied on 04/03/2018 20:14

Posted on 04/03/2018 20:14

Yes you can, but only to a degree....

the chassis/engine/gearbox will determine some distribution, but so will the coachbuilt design....short/long overhang, low profile or overcab styling.....

the other limiting factor will be the siting of the available storage....the Knaus will have a large underbed locker as its primary storage area, with the front dinette possibly housing the Combi heater or even an inboard water tank (another thing generally not found in a caravan).

the thing is, a load placed between the axles will add part of that load to,each axle (depending on position)....however a load placed behind the rear axle in the rear locker will add (say) 125% of the load to the rear axle and reduce the front axle by 25% of the load...this is the fulcrum effect with the rear axle being the pivot point, hence its importance....

you are doing the right thing, raising awareness so as to understand the weighing results and to make an informed choice going forward.

im happy to help further if you come back with some numbers....

it may well be ok, but best to be sure, plenty of cash involved...

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook