Fridge Failure

Threebarkingdogs replied on 16/10/2021 11:41

Posted on 16/10/2021 11:41

The switch on the fridge on our 2004 camper has broken internally.  While we can still select Gas/240V/12V the switch is very stiff and no longer aligns with the indicator lights.

We can limp on for the moment but my question is how do I get the blighter out to repair/replace it?  There appears to be no way of getting it out without dismantling the worktop or some other major "pulling apart" of the kitchen (fridge out?).  Is it possible to just pull the switch straight out of the fridge, I'm unwilling to go down this route in case it totally wrecks the switch leaving us fridgeless.

Photo of the offending switch below (if I've got the hang of posting phot's...)

Andy

SeasideBill replied on 16/10/2021 11:55

Posted on 16/10/2021 11:55

I’d expect the knob in the centre of the switch to be a friction fit located on a spindle. If so, you should be able to gently lever it out and investigate the possibility of removing/replacing the switch unit. Worse case scenario you’ll need to remove surrounding fixtures, pull fridge out and seek access that way. 

DavidKlyne replied on 16/10/2021 12:09

Posted on 16/10/2021 12:09

As Bill says you should be able to, carefully, lever the knob off. The shaft usually has a flat side with a small piece of metal acting a spring to hold the knob on. This could have become dislodged. Its also possible that the plastic has become brittle and a small piece has broken off. But you have no option but to remove the knob to establish that! 

Hopefully you won't need to remove the fridge but it might be worth taking the outside vents off which might give you a view of any casing fixings if it comes to removing the fridge completely?

David

Threebarkingdogs replied on 16/10/2021 12:23

Posted on 16/10/2021 12:23

Ah! I was imagining a more cataclysmic internal switch disaster but a simple knob/shaft* issue does seem more likely seeing as everything does work when the lights are on.

Thanks for pointing out the bleedin' obvious!

Andy

*no sniggering at the back there.

hitchglitch replied on 17/10/2021 19:13

Posted on 17/10/2021 19:13

I had a fridge selector switch knob fail in France on the “Gas” position. Dealer posted a new knob to the site. Easy to fix.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook