Frequency of LPG filling stations in UK & Europe

Sooze2015 replied on 29/06/2017 14:34

Posted on 29/06/2017 14:34

I  am looking into the possibility to have LPG gas bottles fitted to my motorhome, after some research, it would appear to be feasible.However, I am a little concerned regarding frequency of gas filling stations in UK and Europe. There appeared to be no clear upto date documentation for this. Can anyone help?

young thomas replied on 29/06/2017 19:18

Posted on 29/06/2017 19:18

i use two of the above wensites and have their POI files on my Tomtoms.

if you can fit in two large bottles (2x 11kg) i would carry just one 11kg refillable (with appropriate european adaptors) and leave the other space empty but use a local cylinder (say, France or Spain) if you are long terming in any specific country.

this gives you plenty of flexibility.....plenty of LPG fill regularly, LPG a bit thinner on the ground use a local bottle.

the thing is. a local bottle can still be used back here and perhaps taken put again on the next continental tour.

what you will need for the 'spare' space is a 'butane hose' (terminates in a LH threaded 21.8 mm female nut) which will fit directly onto many french and german bottles, but also fits a range of adaptors for other countries like the 'jumbo' one required for Spain.

we tour extensively in europe twice a year and have found LPG to be plentiful. 

in france, most large supermarket chains (E Leclerc, Intermarché etc) and in Spain the Repsol/Cepsa filling stations carry LPG pumps.

KjellNN replied on 03/07/2017 13:35

Posted on 03/07/2017 13:35

we have refillables too, very little problem finding places to fill in  most of Europe.  

Beware in Austria, where there is little or none, also Denmark.  Switzerland is improving, Sweden and Norway have limited filling places.

hitchglitch replied on 03/07/2017 21:26

Posted on 03/07/2017 21:26

We have a fixed LPG tank so I am hoping to see an increase in filling stations, not a decrease! For summer use, the 20 litre (10 kg) tank will last months but for winter heating use a refilling place is essential as there is no option to buy a cylinder.

Interesting that when we were in New Zealand this year, people were just turning up with their gas cylinders and filling them by hand at the local petrol stations. I guess that is due to the popularity of BBQs but I assume that the motorhomes also have refillable cylinders.

young thomas replied on 04/07/2017 09:27

Posted on 04/07/2017 09:27

hitch, im sure youll be fine.

obviously a top up at home immediately prior to departure would see you on your way. France has plentiful LPG and Spain is improving rapidly.

will you be using aires, as you mention winter heating? on site, would you not be using EHU?

re: local cylinders, ive seen many long stayers with a local bottle stood outside the van, with a regulated bottle fed back through an outside gas point.

whilst you may not have a gas locker, a cylinder could be strapped into other storage space (unconnected and turned off) for travelling.

peedee replied on 04/07/2017 11:06

Posted on 04/07/2017 11:06

Another vote for the fillLPG.co.uk site especially the App on a smart phone.

BB there is a limit to the amount of gas you can carry on the tunnel and ferries. I cannot remember how much but while a few years you may have got away with carrying more, these days with more vigorous checks, I doubt it. In the summer months there is generally no need for refills unless you can only carry exceptional small amounts.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook