Ford Transit Sump problem

Reevco replied on 02/03/2020 17:32

Posted on 02/03/2020 17:32

I have a Mk7 2011 Transit okay not a motor home but still a transit FWD same as a lot of motor homes .
Now it started to get an oil leak and not having time I left it for a month as it wasn’t getting any worse so just stuck a drip tray under it thinking it was the timing chain cover or the crank seal leaking as the front of the engine was covered with oil.

Yesterday I degreased the engine down and got all the grime gunk and muck off it only to find a hole in the sump with the oil coming out at a rate of knots, the muck was actually plugging the oil loss.

Plan to get sump off tomorrow as I’ve ordered a new one….
I think it has rusted away and a hole has rusted though either that or it rusted thin and a stone has hit it and made a hole.

Called into Fords and got a price for a new sump over £300 got a new one on eBay £21

So if you have a MH with a Transit cab or a panel van coversion it maybe worth checking your sump to see if theres any rust, you don’t want to be on your hols or in some foreign parts and suddenly lose your oil and finish up with a seized engine….. I thought it was just surface rust but it must have gone deeper than I thought or the metal must just be paper thin…. the same sump can be found fitted to the Mk6 Mk7 and Mk8s

Reevco replied on 03/03/2020 13:16

Posted on 03/03/2020 13:16

Well just in and thawing out.

I have just fitted the new sump oil filter and refilled with oil thats one good job done today.

Found out the leak was coming from a spotweld that was failing....

Must say the eBay sump fitted spot on no troubles with lining up holes

EmilysDad replied on 03/03/2020 13:55

Posted on 03/03/2020 13:55

That is one hell of a difference in price between Ford OE & eBay's offering ..... presumably a pattern part. 

You're lucky the sump could be easily removed. The cast ally sump on a previous car of mine could only be removed after the engine was lifted .... it sat over the front cross member.

Reevco replied on 03/03/2020 14:48

Posted on 03/03/2020 14:48

I have a Cortina and the sump on that is dam near impossble to get off  as you have the sub frame in the way and the two bolts at the back are a right b**** to get out even worse to get back in without seperating the gearbox. It can be done but you have to raise the engine, even then the oil pick up can then get in the way... Easier to get the engine out and not struggle

EmilysDad replied on 03/03/2020 16:31

Posted on 03/03/2020 14:48 by Reevco

I have a Cortina and the sump on that is dam near impossble to get off  as you have the sub frame in the way and the two bolts at the back are a right b**** to get out even worse to get back in without seperating the gearbox. It can be done but you have to raise the engine, even then the oil pick up can then get in the way... Easier to get the engine out and not struggle

Posted on 03/03/2020 16:31

It's a very long time since I've worked on a Cortina ... IIRC the sump gasket came in various bits .... cork along the length & a rubber/plastic bit that went over the curved bit of the main bearing (where they generally leaked)

Now that I've looked at your profile picture I can see it .... early MKIII estate

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook