Fly screens and ventilation

Jane Patricia replied on 19/06/2018 19:20

Posted on 19/06/2018 19:20

My husband and I are about to take delivery of our new VW T6 van not long before heading off to the South West of France in July! We've done camping in the past, and hired motor homes in Scotland (no midges on those occasions) and I've always been terribly prone to being bitten. Want to be able to sleep without fear of waking up with itchy red lumps all over. I've googled fly screens bu haven't really found anything suitable (and at a price my husband will accept !) for either the cab windows or the habitation door.

Anyone got any tips or advice ?

Apperley replied on 19/06/2018 23:18

Posted on 19/06/2018 23:18

If you are really prone to the bites have you considered sleeping in a mosquito net? They are relatively cheap and available for a double bed size. Only problem is somehow fixing the centre to the ceiling, but I am sure that is doable. 

young thomas replied on 20/06/2018 07:32

Posted on 20/06/2018 07:32

fly screens on ,H doors have been available on coachbuilts for quite a while (relatively small apperture).....

fly screens on Van Conversions have been available on Continental Vans for 2/3 years now, although I haven't seen many on UK conversions but I'm sure they're about...

i would have thought these would be available on some T6 conversions by now....

what particular van are you getting and can the converter fit a proper sliding flyscreen for the main door?

roof lights are generally OK as they come with them and cab Windows can be closed, if need be...

for sleeping, we just have the roof lights open and they all have fly screens built in......although the T6 may have a rising roof? 

Jane Patricia replied on 25/06/2018 10:15

Posted on 25/06/2018 10:15

Thanks to you both for your advice. I feel a bit more confident about various measures which we can take to make us as bug secure as possible

peedee replied on 25/06/2018 10:50

Posted on 25/06/2018 10:50

You could also consider buying an electric mosquito/insect killer. You can get mains and 12 volt powered ones. You just insert a tablet into them and they give off an odourless vapour which kills insects espcially mosquitos. Boots sells mains powered ones and we find them very effective. For a 12volt one see >here<

peedee

wfairfull replied on 08/08/2018 13:58

Posted on 08/08/2018 13:58

Broken cord on my sliding fly screen. Any ideas about repairing already tried to tie the bottom cord but only lasted one day on my 2009 Swift Escape 686

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook