Fly killer

deadeyex replied on 17/04/2018 13:09

Posted on 17/04/2018 13:09

Help needed please.....off to Spain/France in June. Wanting to buy deterrent for flies/mozzies

- can anyone recommend a low wattage electric zapper (similar to those used in restaurants) - most online seem too powerful for the electric available on most european sites. 

- or good citronella candles (those made with cit. oil in are needed - not just fragranced)

- or an effective 'tennis racquet' style swatter.  thanks

old ludlovian replied on 18/04/2018 01:04

Posted on 18/04/2018 01:04

I have tried most of these but find the best solution is close all nets and Windows . doors . good old fashion fly spray .sprayed around before going to bed works for me most the time.mossies   Seem to love me meals on wheels when iam about if any body knows a better way please let me in on the secret I hate the little buggers and that's the polite statement 

replied on 18/04/2018 07:06

Posted on 18/04/2018 07:06

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

replied on 18/04/2018 07:24

Posted on 18/04/2018 07:24

If using fly spray be aware. People have directed it towards nice shiny fridge doors and had the finish damaged. I am fortunate in that midges don't affect me or OH and mosquito rarely

peedee replied on 18/04/2018 07:39

Posted on 18/04/2018 07:39

Flies/mozzies seem to have become less of a problem over the years, possibly due to more effective spraying of areas around sites. However, I find the electronic vape mats very effective against mozzies and old fashioned fly paper for flies if the vape mats don't keep them away.

peedee

hitchglitch replied on 18/04/2018 10:47

Posted on 18/04/2018 10:47

Outdoors we don’t find the citronella much use but a fly swat certainly works and wouldn’t be without it for wasps.

In the Caribbean they sometimes fill a plastic bag tight with water and place it on the table or suspend it above the table. A local told me that the image of the fly is enlarged by the curves and it scares them off! Haven’t tried it myself but it sounds daft enough to be true.

ABM replied on 18/04/2018 12:04

Posted on 18/04/2018 10:47 by hitchglitch

Outdoors we don’t find the citronella much use but a fly swat certainly works and wouldn’t be without it for wasps.

In the Caribbean they sometimes fill a plastic bag tight with water and place it on the table or suspend it above the table. A local told me that the image of the fly is enlarged by the curves and it scares them off! Haven’t tried it myself but it sounds daft enough to be true.

Posted on 18/04/2018 12:04

ooo  'eck  !!  surprised  Might  just  try  that  in  the  "Northern  Country"  later  this  year,  certainly  no  shortage  of  water  up  there  !!  Might  have  to  use  some  form  of  glass  container  tho'  ( dare  not  be  seen  using  'orrid,  nasty  plastic  wink!!

Tammygirl replied on 18/04/2018 17:47

Posted on 18/04/2018 17:47

Citronella candle can easily be bought from the Chinese Bazaars in Spain and just about in every supermarket in France.

We also carry with us an essential oil burner thingy, T light in the bottom water in the cup thing at the top and a few drops of citronella oil does the trick inside the van (don't leave unattended of course) we also have a couple of the plug in blue light zappers which we bought in Lidl/Aldi a few years ago, failing that we have the smelly coils which we burn outside and if all that fails fly spray and a zapper racket. Everything homes in on OH mozzies, midges, horse flies makes his life a misery if he gets a lot. He now takes an antihistamine tablet, starts 2 weeks before we go and continues while away. Doesn't stop him getting bitten but it does lessen the affect.

Kontikiboy replied on 23/04/2018 17:28

Posted on 23/04/2018 17:28

Did you know that it is only the female mossie that sucks your blood, she needs the blood sugar to lay her eggs, what makes your blood lovely and sweet when on holiday?     Alcohol!    Go easy on that and have all of the other measures listed above as well.      Having lived in Singapore and Belize I learned a thing or two about mossies.   If you can catch a chit-chat (very small lizard) keep one in your van or house, best solution ever.   They live on mossies and other creepies.

BillC

Bakers2 replied on 23/04/2018 17:35

Posted on 23/04/2018 17:35

Yes did know only females suck your blood.  I agree about little lizards too. However speaking as someone who doesn't drink alcohol they still love my blood regardless of sprays/creams/lavender oil/garlic. They are supposed to be more attracted to female blood 😲 so I stand no chance!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook