Fitting a Cycle rack to a MH

fatbelly replied on 19/08/2017 11:42

Posted on 19/08/2017 11:42

Hi All,

We want to fit a cycle rack to our Bailey Autograph MH. I've seen the rack on the net and want to order but was wondering how hard is it to self fit?

Our Van has grey egg shaped fittings on the rear for the rack to fit onto and I did try to remove these but they were very stiff and I did want to pull to hard and damage them so I let alone until I got advice from you guys.

Paolo Imberino replied on 19/08/2017 12:41

Posted on 19/08/2017 12:41

Hi Fatbelly.

One aspect you may not have thought of. If you have electric bikes then these weigh, without the batteries, 20kg ish and they are friggin heavy to lift onto a high bike rack. I have a Bolero 714SB but I've had professional fitted a Thule electric bike rack. Hardwired direct into habitation batteries with a 16amp fuse and an interior isolation switch. I press a button at the back of the motorhome and the bike rack goes up and down to 12 inches from the ground with 2 electric bikes.

Either way I would have the rack professional installed. I would hate for you to scratch/dent your van.

nelliethedog replied on 03/09/2017 17:33

Posted on 03/09/2017 17:33

Hi, fatbelly,

I fitted a Fiamma bike carrier to my Bailey Approach - very easy, just followed the instructions. My m/h came with the two grey horizontal fixing bars already fitted and I just e-mailed a pic to Fiamma who ensured I ordered the correct one. Hope this helps

young thomas replied on 03/09/2017 18:36

Posted on 03/09/2017 18:36

FB, notwithstanding the technical issues of fitting suitable rack etc, which Bailey model do you have, and have you weighed the van (either empty or fully loaded, along with axle weights)?

if not, i suggest you do, as there is a (distinct) possibility of being overweight.

are you running on 3500kg (possibly....) and what license groups do you have on your license....B+C1 to allow vans over this weight?

dont do anything or spend any cash until youve addressed these couple of basic issues....

also, chack out this thread

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook