First service

SteveLaw replied on 13/03/2024 12:12

Posted on 13/03/2024 12:12

Our 2022 Ducato Motorhome is coming up for its first service (not habitation). I've been quoted £700 by a Fiat Professional agent but my local commercial servicing agent has quoted only £130 plus parts for the first service. I guess oil etc is well over £100 but it's still quite a big difference. I'm sorely tempted to go with this and if there are any warranty issues identified then I still have time to get them done under warranty. As far as I'm aware however there are no issues. What do other people do for their first service?

Tinwheeler replied on 13/03/2024 12:43

Posted on 13/03/2024 12:43

Ah, the joys of owning a commercial vehicle! With servicing being only every 2 years, it’s not quite as bad as it sounds price wise.

If using a non-Fiat garage, you must ensure they use genuine Fiat parts and the recommended fluids in order to maintain your warranty. The main disadvantage is that a non franchised garage will not have access to Fiat's software in order to do analysis, fault finding, manufacturer's updates or reset computer readings. Personally, much as I hate the local Fiat garage, I used them when we had a Fiat and also used the Peugeot and Mercedes garages when we had those vehicles. 

The biggest issue with a coachbuilt MH is usually finding a garage with sufficient headroom to get the van up on the hoist.

DavidKlyne replied on 13/03/2024 12:55

Posted on 13/03/2024 12:55

All my servicing is done by the dealer I purchased my motorhomes from. Fortunately its only just over 20 miles away. Makes life much easier. From memory I think the last hab and cab service was about £700 but that did include a new habitation freestanding water pump to replace the silly system Bailey installed as standard!!! 

Echo TW's point about finding franchise dealers who can cope with motorhomes. Some won't entertain looking at them even if they don't need a ramp!

David

Kasspa replied on 13/03/2024 13:03

Posted on 13/03/2024 13:03

Hi Steve, when our 2019 Reg van was due it's 1st service in 2021 it was done by Northern Commercials in Northants who were very honest telling me that it only required a 'Low Mileage Service'.....

Total cost was £330 of which labour was £190 & 6 litres of oil £63, oil filter was £15 + it had a brake fluid change....

I accept this is still high but as it was still within warranty I wasn't risking any 'battles'......

Once out of warranty, any reputable commercial service agent would suffice but most dealerships would do this in-house..... again I've opted for this with a view of the benefits with resale.....

Randomcamper replied on 14/03/2024 14:59

Posted on 14/03/2024 14:59

£700 sounds like a " We don't want the job" sort of price..........

As above, how many miles have you done?  Many dealers will offer a "low mileage service" for motorhomes. I've never paid over £200 on the three vans we have had at Fiat Proffesional Dealers. Last service under warranty was last year.....

Ring around and make it obvious you are looking for a competitive quote....

Lukeledge replied on 15/03/2024 08:53

Posted on 15/03/2024 08:53

Sound overpriced,  I would shop around if possible. We only used Fiat garage for 1st service for warranty, then local garages since then.

hitchglitch replied on 26/03/2024 19:01

Posted on 26/03/2024 19:01

My Fiat Professional book says that it has a 2 year warranty in which case it doesn’t matter where you go for a service because the warranty has nearly expired. If a warranty issue is discovered you can then take it to a Fiat dealer to fix. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook